Goats Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@earlene, I think goats milk is an acquired taste/smell. I grew up with cows milk and hate the smell and taste of goats milk. Maybe those that grow up on goats milk hate the taste and smell of cows milk. :)

It seems the jury is out on perception vs reality. However, I am a firm believer in that perception does indeed equal reality in many cases. So I'm ok with either outcome. :)

I can't wait to make these and and do some comparison testing. :)

For those that make Goats Milk soap, do you find that it's a nicer soap overall? I see a lot of people making it and I've never used goats milk, but some people swear by it.
I'm sharing this story because I thought it was interesting:
A gentleman at church came up to me one day and asked me if I could make him some goat milk soap. I said sure, but it's not something I normally do* and the coconut milk soap that I make would be just as good. He said "No, no, my dermatologist told me goat milk soap, so that's what I'm going to use." He then showed me his arms which were horribly red, flaky, had sores on them, in some patches were thick skinned like leather. The gentleman said most of his body looked like his arms (I didn't ask to see more). I don't remember now what the skin condition was called, but the dermatologist was very specific about using goat milk soap in addition to his medications and creams. So every year for the last 3 years I make him a batch of goat milk soap. He told me as soon as he added the soap in with the other things the doc was doing, everything started to clear up. Coincidence? Maybe. But for this guy, goat milk soap does make a difference.

This is not a story I share with customers as I don't want to give the impression that soap is any kind of cure-all, but I do share with other soapmakers.

*I don't like making or using goat milk soap because when making it and for about 2 weeks into the cure, the smell is so gaggy and gawdawful that I almost can't stand to be in my soap dungeon. This is also why I don't like using it - when I smell soap made with raw GM, I can smell that gaggy smell. I don't notice canned GM as much in soaps until I go to use it, then I can smell it. I'm the only one in my house who notices the smell, so I suspect it's my super smeller nose at work.

@amd That is actually a really interesting story. Based on your story, it sounds like you've used both raw and canned GM for the soap you make for him. I wonder if using the powder will have the same properties? Possibly without the smell?

I have a DD that was recently diagnosed with Pemphigus foliaceus. I've spent a great deal of time researching and attempting to find something that helps. So far, nothing has, although I have a cream I made recently with emu oil that she hasn't tried yet. Until you just mentioned the goats milk soap, I hadn't even thought of that being something to try. As well, based on what I've been finding about Camel Milk soap, wondering now if that may be a possible solution.

Thanks for sharing the story! It may well prove to be some help for my daughter. :D

Love GMS... specially with milk oatmeal and honey.... I ordered that fragrance from Whole Sale Supply, and I don’t think is a good one.... Does anyone have found a good one, that can recomend?

I normally make unscented goat's milk soap. It's my favourite CP soap of all the soaps I've ever made. I've never noticed a smell before, but the last batch I made with oatmeal as an exfoliant. The smell when first made was rank. It's been aging for about 4 weeks now and the smell is totally gone. Maybe it'll work that way for your soaps too....

it sounds like you've used both raw and canned GM
I wonder if using the powder will have the same properties? Possibly without the smell?
I have not used raw - this is what I smell when I have bought other people's GM Soap and I know they raise their own goats. Canned is not as bad, and as I can buy the small can and have very little waste after making the soap that is what I use. I have not tried powder, but I was wondering the same thing! Unfortunately the smallest can of powder I can get locally is close to $20, so I haven't tried it. I did try a tester lotion from a local maker who uses GM powder, and I didn't like it - although, she does not use preservatives so I'm concerned that the funky smell may have been a combination of the powdered GM and possibly contamination. Here again, no one else could smell what I did (the maker even told me "it's in your head") so I may be more sensitive. No one else in my house has ever been bothered by GM soaps (not even the 100% lard bar that I had to banish to the other bathroom because I could smell it when I walked in the room).

I've never noticed a smell before, but the last batch I made with oatmeal as an exfoliant. The smell when first made was rank. It's been aging for about 4 weeks now and the smell is totally gone. Maybe it'll work that way for your soaps too....
I hope so too! :)

I have not used raw - this is what I smell when I have bought other people's GM Soap and I know they raise their own goats. Canned is not as bad, and as I can buy the small can and have very little waste after making the soap that is what I use. I have not tried powder, but I was wondering the same thing! Unfortunately the smallest can of powder I can get locally is close to $20, so I haven't tried it.

Oh, ok. So the canned is working well for your friend. He hasn't even tried soap made from raw milk. That's good to hear.

I did try a tester lotion from a local maker who uses GM powder, and I didn't like it - although, she does not use preservatives so I'm concerned that the funky smell may have been a combination of the powdered GM and possibly contamination.

Ewww, I agree. Likely had some nasties growing in it.

Here again, no one else could smell what I did (the maker even told me "it's in your head") so I may be more sensitive. No one else in my house has ever been bothered by GM soaps (not even the 100% lard bar that I had to banish to the other bathroom because I could smell it when I walked in the room).

Lol, your sniffer may be a bit more sensitive then mine, but I totally understand. I made a 50% lard liquid soap the other day. I used store bought lard this time and all I can smell is the lard. I haven't added scent to it yet, hoping it will overpower the lard smell.

Last edited:
I’m late on this conversation as this is kidding season and just watched my last goat doe have two kids yesterday😂. After reading this thread I thought maybe as a goat owner I might add some thoughts. I started making goat milk soap because I have goats. But first I made cheese, used it in coffee, ice cream etc. My family members weren’t so sure whether they wanted to try it...but after learning the key to really good goat milk ... Goat milk can taste or smell funny for a lot of reasons. If the milking does are too close to the bucks is one. What they’re fed could be another... garlic doesn’t help 😂. And very important.. to get the milk cold quick. Also, it doesn’t store in the refrigerator very long. I’ve been lucky if it stores as long as 10 days, but a week is average— this is raw goat milk. So, I freeze mine quick for soap. So far I’ve been lucky with not having any disturbing soap smells to the people who’ve tried my soap but that of course could change. Everyone is different . I did try some goat milk from the store and it had a funky smell and taste so I finally understood what some people say about it. I wouldn’t buy that again. But fresh goat milk that’s immediately chilled doesn’t seem to have a difference from cows milk is what I’ve been told ( and I agree) and it’s creamier. If I didn’t have goats and control the milk, I might stick with powder myself....

I use the GM powder and whisk it into my cooled oils. The one time I tried putting directly into hot oils it seized and I had to strain burnt orange bits out of my oil batch. I'm only adding the amount of powder on the bag it says to make a glass of milk. 3 Tbsp.

I’m late on this conversation as this is kidding season and just watched my last goat doe have two kids yesterday😂. After reading this thread I thought maybe as a goat owner I might add some thoughts. I started making goat milk soap because I have goats. But first I made cheese, used it in coffee, ice cream etc. My family members weren’t so sure whether they wanted to try it...but after learning the key to really good goat milk ... Goat milk can taste or smell funny for a lot of reasons. If the milking does are too close to the bucks is one. What they’re fed could be another... garlic doesn’t help 😂. And very important.. to get the milk cold quick. Also, it doesn’t store in the refrigerator very long. I’ve been lucky if it stores as long as 10 days, but a week is average— this is raw goat milk. So, I freeze mine quick for soap. So far I’ve been lucky with not having any disturbing soap smells to the people who’ve tried my soap but that of course could change. Everyone is different . I did try some goat milk from the store and it had a funky smell and taste so I finally understood what some people say about it. I wouldn’t buy that again. But fresh goat milk that’s immediately chilled doesn’t seem to have a difference from cows milk is what I’ve been told ( and I agree) and it’s creamier. If I didn’t have goats and control the milk, I might stick with powder myself....
I have a friend with a herd of goats and she freezes her milk solid before she adds the lye. She's actually the one who got me into soapmaking because she was putting cool pics on FB

I have a friend with a herd of goats and she freezes her milk solid before she adds the lye. She's actually the one who got me into soapmaking because she was putting cool pics on FB
Knowing that I’ll be using the milk for soap, it goes straight to the freezer after straining straight from milking the goats! 😂

lol, I don't have access to fresh goat milk, so I'll stick with the powder for now. :)
I haven't really noticed that it's better than coconut cream so I guess it's more perception. :)

I too have goats and I LOVE their milk!! Just waiting for my oils to come in and then I'll be trying my hand at soap making with their milk. I'm super excited!

I used to use only frozen raw goats milk when I had Nubians. Now I can sometimes get it from a friend, but not always. But I *do* have access to some lovely, raw Jersey milk which I use when GM isn't available. I (personally) feel the Jersey milk - because of its higher butterfat content - actually makes a creamier, silkier bar. However, many buyers want GM and only GM. I think all milk soaps are generally gentler because the butterfat adds to the superfat. I only make milk soap, other than my olive oil soap from Zany's recipe.

I"ve been making goat's milk soap for the last two years and give it as a gift to new babies. A friend told me his baby had a skin rash that cleared up with the GMS so I'm sending him another batch.
I use powdered but mix it into milk and freeze and then use that as the liquid to mix with lye. It has to be frozen or slushy and I surround the container with ice to keep it from burning.
Don't add any color or scent to keep it as pure as possible.
Never got a bad smell....

Oooh! I would LOVE to do that. Would you share how you added the milk (and how much) to the brine? Or did you just sub the milk for the water in the brine?
I use goat's milk as the liquid and mix the lye in as usual except that the milk is frozen and the container surrounded by ice to keep it cool. Slowly sprinkle the lye which melts the milk. when all the lye is added and well stirred, let it cool to a fairly low temp like 105 or 100. Add to the oils as usual. After putting into the mold I put it in the frig over night to prevent any scorching. Makes a lovely very mild creamy soap. Here's the link from brambleberry
https://www.brambleberry.com/in-the...s/creamy-goat-milk-soap-project/PS000018.html

I use goat's milk as the liquid and mix the lye in as usual except that the milk is frozen and the container surrounded by ice to keep it cool. Slowly sprinkle the lye which melts the milk. when all the lye is added and well stirred, let it cool to a fairly low temp like 105 or 100. Add to the oils as usual. After putting into the mold I put it in the frig over night to prevent any scorching. Makes a lovely very mild creamy soap. Here's the link from brambleberry
https://www.brambleberry.com/in-the...s/creamy-goat-milk-soap-project/PS000018.html

Thank you for your reply, that is exactly how I make my milk soaps. However AliOop was referencing using GM in her Zany's OO soap. I make it with the original recipe - which is made with brine - and was enquiring how she incorporated the milk.

Latest posts

Back