Goat's milk soap - temperature issue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapmk

Reaction score
Hello,

We started making goat milk soap with frozen milk.

When we mix the lye with the milk the temperature is not going above 20 C (68F) Is that ok? Or we have some problems?

After that we are putting the lye/milk mixture into a warm water in order to raise the temperature around 100F so to mix this with the oils.

We tried that with two different types of lye, the result was the same.

Our frozen milk is in a form of big piece, not in cubes, maybe that's the reason for the low temperature?

We watch/read everywhere that people have problems with high temperature, and we have problem with low temperature of the lye/milk mixture.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Hello,

We started making goat milk soap with frozen milk.

When we mix the lye with the milk the temperature is not going above 20 C (68F) Is that ok? Or we have some problems?

After that we are putting the lye/milk mixture into a warm water in order to raise the temperature around 100F so to mix this with the oils.

We tried that with two different types of lye, the result was the same.

Our frozen milk is in a form of big piece, not in cubes, maybe that's the reason for the low temperature?

We watch/read everywhere that people have problems with high temperature, and we have problem with low temperature of the lye/milk mixture.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Hello
I'm just new to soap making but I think it may be because your milk is in one big piece and not in cubes, I just made goats milk soap yesterday (only my 2nd batch) and I froze my milk in ice cube trays first, I think if you try the frozen cubes the temp will be a lot better and you shouldn't have to raise the temp of your lye. When I did mine I actually had to stand my lye and milk in an ice bath as it heats up pretty quickly. Hope that helps!
icon_razz.gif

Whats the reason that the lye/milk has to be that temp?

We only make GM soap and I have always kept my lye/milk solution at around 70 (Fahrenheit) and kept my oils under 80 so that the milk wont change color on me.

I have only been making soap for 5 months though - so I may have been doing it wrong all this time.

Latest posts

Back