Goats Milk SOap HELP!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I slowly added my lye to the goat milk ice cubes. It never reached a temp over 65 degrees. After molding the soap, we then froze it and it didnt gel. It was a beautiful ivory white color for two weeks while it cured. Sometime during the third week it started going tan on us.

My recipe had only goat milk soap instead of water, coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil and shea butter. With a lemon grass EO.

OK, I'm back. I went out and grabbed a goat and mixed my lye with it ( the milk not the goat, sorry) here's a picture at a 33% lye solution image.jpg milk not frozen just added the lye slowly.

If you gel or HP your milk soaps they will darken. Just like any gelled or HP soap is darker than non gelled. HTH

Last edited:
^^^ interesting! how slowly (ie how long did it take you to get all of the lye added to GM)?

I didn't time it but it was kind long. At least 15 to 20 min. But it was faster than the other one I had going which was with frozen milk. But the frozen one I did get to walk away and let it melt on its own.

Kinda new to this and I'm taking in all that everyone says. Great stuff. Just completed my first batch of GM soap. Added lye to frozen milk in ice bath, beautiful ivory cream colored milk. Actually almost too cool to add to oil for a little while , let it warm up just a little. I added and noticed it took quiet a long time to trace, kept mixing and blending until good medium trace just to be sure. But to the subject at hand, put in refrigerator for two days and I'm going to take it out today. Since the soap was cooled what are the chances of there being lye problems or does this just slow saponification and will the process eventually utilize all the lye?

Kinda new to this and I'm taking in all that everyone says. Great stuff. Just completed my first batch of GM soap. Added lye to frozen milk in ice bath, beautiful ivory cream colored milk. Actually almost too cool to add to oil for a little while , let it warm up just a little. I added and noticed it took quiet a long time to trace, kept mixing and blending until good medium trace just to be sure. But to the subject at hand, put in refrigerator for two days and I'm going to take it out today. Since the soap was cooled what are the chances of there being lye problems or does this just slow saponification and will the process eventually utilize all the lye?

You would have been better off posting this in a new thread. This thread has been inactive for 4 years and the OP Hasn't been around for a while, from what I see. You'd also be more likely to get responses and helpful critiques by making your own threads as needed and reading through the first few pages of at least the Beginner's forum.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showpost.php?p=645560&postcount=25

I add honey to my GM soap so I do frozen GM to lye. Add honey to my oils. The part I add TD to still comes out a darker white/tan. I do freeze right after pouring in mold

Back