goats milk question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safire_6

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of goats milk and before I get any further I'm hoping someone can answer this for me.

i just combined my goats milk and lye and it turned brown. Is it supposed to? Will my soap be brown? I have always thought gm soap was white!!!

I haven't made a ton of GM soap, but I have learned it works better to either freeze the milk til its slushy and add the lye REALLY slow...or to go 50/50 with water and put the GM in at trace. It overheats and burns really easy. I also learned, it works better not to insulate mine. Next time I am going to try the freezer method.
Good luck!

I dissolve the lye in minimum water required and add the rest as liquid milk when the lye water cools off. I also don't gel, so the soap comes out lighter.

Did you freeze the milk first? If you combined it with the lye without freezing it, there's a good chance that you've scorched it. I don't know what that will do to your soap.

Mine turns a nice shade of yellow (think rubber gloves :D ) when I mix it frozen with the lye - never brown.

Since, all I make is goat milk soap. I can give you some pointers with working with milk in soap.

First, I freeze my milk SOLID....right now I have about 120 pounds of milk frozen in the deep freeze. I weigh out the amount that I need for a batch...mine is 1 pound. So, I put the milk into gallon ziplock bags and freeze in about 3 inch wide and inch tall bags...I press the air out and roll the rest of the bag over twice.

After I weigh out all my oils and set them aside, I grab one of those bags and put into hot water. Measure out my lye, and check to see if the "tube" of milk will break. Once, I get a break I dump the milk out into my lye bowl and add the lye. I would not say that I add the lye slowly...as it just takes me 20 minute from weighting out the oils till I am washing up the mess. But, I add at a steady flow and stir the whole time I am adding lye. Now, I do have my bowl in the sink with just cold tap water around it. It will turn a yellow pudding looking thing. Most of the time I have the lye all mixed in before the milk is even done thawing out. That is my goal at least.

I use no water in my soap...as my customers want only 100% goat milk.

Then once, I get the soap batter mixed I just pour it into my molds. I use lined wooden molds...mine are 36 inches long and 3.5 inches wide. I dont put anything on top of them or insulate at all. As most of the time I am running out the door to my "real" job. Then at night, I just pull out the soap logs and let set for about 2 to 3 days still in the paper. As I have found if I let them sit that long they are easier to cut.

Hope this helps.

ken

safire_6 said:
I am making my first batch of goats milk and before I get any further I'm hoping someone can answer this for me.

i just combined my goats milk and lye and it turned brown. Is it supposed to? Will my soap be brown? I have always thought gm soap was white!!!

I just made my first successful batch of GM soap. I used half of the water with the lye, the other half was GM soap that was at room temperature when I poured it right before trace. Poured it in my mold, covered lightly with wax paper and put it in the fridge for 24hrs. After that, popped it out of the mold and let it get room temperature and then cut in to bars. turned out wonderful. :)

Back