Goat's milk Fresh vs. powdered

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good question! I was wondering that, too. I'm having a heck of a time finding fresh goat's milk right now, but I've really been wanting to make some gm soap!

I have used powdered goat's milk but I have to wait for my bars to cure before trying to see how it feels. Using powder seems very easy but if canned or fresh is somehow better then I would really like to know why it's better.

I use powdered for several reasons. 1) It's not going to go bad and you don't need much space for storage (ie. no refrigeration needed although I know some people don't bother if they're using it for soap which skeeves me out a bit). 2) It's quite easy to incorporate into your soaps and you don't have to freeze it (for those that do and use it as their water for lye). I really like the combo of goats milk and buttermilk and I got both powdered from Amazon. The cool part is it's from the grocery section and you get a discount if you sign up for regular deliveries for it.

With new regulations on most sellers in the U.S. it’s going to be very difficult to get fresh goats milk that include lot codes for tracking. For this reason starting in 2025 most will have to use powdered.

With new regulations on most sellers in the U.S. it’s going to be very difficult to get fresh goats milk that include lot codes for tracking. For this reason starting in 2025 most will have to use powdered.
I don't think most small soap sellers in the US worry about lot codes or tracking ingredient sources. We aren't required to put lot numbers on our regular soap (non-cosmetic, non-drug) labels. It also seems like a lot of goat milk soapers use the milk from their own goats. :)

I found no difference between any of the forms of goat's milk and frankly preferred working with powdered. Also, the fat content made no difference because I would simply adjust my superfat to the fat in the milk. I will mention I am the odd one who never noticed any difference with GM soap but did make it for my GM soap customers.

So I buy goat milk from a local and freeze dry it to powder. Mainly because it's easier to store, I don't have to freeze it to mix in my soap, and I can keep a stock of it whenever the nannies stop giving milk until they have their next kid. It seems to perform just the same as raw milk.
I would love to have a freeze-dryer, but that option went out the door with my daughter's illness.

I would like to read the new regulations. Can you provide a link or give me the source where you saw it? I'm in Texas and there are already very strict state level rules about selling raw goat milk for human consumption so I am curious how it is changing that will affect sales for soap making.

Back