goat milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubnica

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your goat milk? I went to my local health food store and it is sooo expensive. Is there any online suppliers that woudl sell it at a reasonable price?
Thanks

Google says you have a Whole Foods at 711 University Avenue. They should carry fresh goat's milk in any fat percentage you want. Ours does. I freeze it in recipe increments.

I would go to a regular grocery store or Whole Foods, it should be less expensive there than a health food store. At my grocery store it's around 3-4 dollars for a couple of pints.

I like the Meyenberg canned goatsmilk that you can find at most grocery stores or Wal Mart. A can is about $2.50 and it works great in soap. I have used both fresh and canned goatsmilk and cannot tell the difference in the cured soap. I just thought I would throw in the option of canned..if it is difficult to find cheap, fresh milk where you live.

I too use the canned goat's milk. The concetrated kind. I don't even dilute it.

You could always find a local goat dairy that would give you a deal . . . then freeze what you don't use for later ;)

I know store goat milk can get quite pricey. Most goat farmers up here charge $2 per quart and depending on the farmer, its possible to find one that will sell a gallon for $4.

Yesterday I found Goat's Milk at the Walmart. I was passing the dairy section and sure enough tucked away next to the soy milk were cartons of goat's milk. I bought it! Its sitting in zippock baggies in the freezer! I'm so excited to try making my first goat milk soap!

So far I just have the powder...it is not available in stores here...but we do have a friend who raises goats...so will be going there soon... :)

Yes, I found goat milk at Trader Joe's. Our Walmart sucks..they do not have this stuff there...but the one about 30 miles away from my house - Super Walmart - they will have it I think. It's by my daughter's house so I will check it out on Saturday.
Yesterday I bought coconut and castor oil at local Indian market...who would have thought!

not goat milk, but coc milk at asian stores much cheaper than natural stores.

I get mine at my regular grocery store. It's the refridgerated kind in a purple, green, and white carton (made by Meyenberg). They store it on the same shelf with the Soy milks and Rice milks and Lactaid.

IrishLass :)

regular grocery store here, too. they just started carrying it "fresh" so I always used the evaporated or powdered until recently.

Strangely enough the goat farmers in my area want more $$$ for a litre of Goat's Milk than the store.... Since I need pasteurized (sp) for my lotions anyway I now just buy from the store....

I buy in in the grocery store near the regular milk, half-litre cartons. I buy several at once and freeze it in ice cube trays and pop the cubes in Ziplock freezer baggies. Always ready.

A few days ago, I got a half gallon of goat milk at Whole Foods. It was on sale for about $6.00. Cheaper per ounce than the canned milk.

Does Goat's Milk need to be pasteurized?

A friend of mine owns a couple of goats and i was thinking about asking her if I could buy milk from her. But I am concerned about any health risks or bacteria from unpasteurized milk. Thanks in advance. Joy

Re: Does Goat's Milk need to be pasteurized?

oh2bejoy said:
A friend of mine owns a couple of goats and i was thinking about asking her if I could buy milk from her. But I am concerned about any health risks or bacteria from unpasteurized milk. Thanks in advance. Joy

For drinking or making soap? :? If it's for making soap, there are no health risks to using unpasteurized milk. I'm pretty sure the lye is going to kill off anything in there! :lol:

As for drinking it, I personally would want to watch and see how clean her milking procedures are. We've been drinking raw milk for five years and have never had a problem - but I know how clean my milking procedures are. If I have any doubts about the milk (hoof waves above the bucket, fly is doing the backstroke in the milk :p ), it goes to the chickens - or into the soap pot. :D

Latest posts

Back