Goat milk soap thickens too fast

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapman Ryan

Reaction score
When I make my soap all my batches are made with 100% goat milk, but I have a problem.
I soap below 80 degrees, pot in ice water, so the goat milk doesn't stink and stays white. After trace, I take the soap pot out of the ice water so it will come back up to a warmer temp. to continue stick blending, so I know I didn't get a false trace due to the low temps.
After trace I'm unable to pour the soap into a mold, therefore I end up with a single color soap. I have to mix in the color, then spoon it into the mold as the goat milk soap is VERY thick.
How can I continue to keep the goat milk, but have a thin liquid to be able to swirl colors?

I'm going to follow since mine did the same when I used 100%. Second time I did a 50/50 of water (first added to lye then..) and frozen GM (added after water/lye cooled down). Got thick but no where near as much as 100% GM.

Once you are at thin trace, there is no reason to continue stick blending (making a thick trace). Stop then, and don't warm it up and don't stick blend it then either. Once you're at thin trace, that's good!

At a thin trace, do your swirls and things, and then when finished put the mold in the freezer.

Once you are at thin trace, there is no reason to continue stick blending (making a thick trace). Stop then, and don't warm it up and don't stick blend it then either. Once you're at thin trace, that's good!

At a thin trace, do your swirls and things, and then when finished put the mold in the freezer.

Good info., I will try this next time. Thanks.

I use powdered goats milk, I use about 2-3 tablespoons of reserved water to make a slurry and then pour it in at trace. I do not even cool my lye first and I have never had an issue with thickness, browning or overheating. I also do not refrigerate it and rarely have a gel. I realize though that some people have an abundance of fresh or prefer it so that is probably a different story.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back