Goat Milk Soap Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not insulate the soap as it might cause it to overheat. You can put a film of plastic wrap over the top of the soap. I like to put my milk soap in a cold place so it doesn't go through the gel stage. That gives me a lighter colored bar.

i would not insulate goat milk soap if you are using a wood log mold, as like Isg said it might overheat. that might not necessarily ruin it, but you will have to wait many, many months for the soap to lose the scorched smell, and you probably will get a dark color. i saved a batch i scorched, and after a year it was fine -- but it took a whole year!

i insulate mine if i'm using an acrylic or silicone mold, as in my experience these don't tend to invite gel as much as wood does. i do like to gel, though. like Isg says, if you do not want it to gel definitely do NOT insulate it.

Thanks a bunch for the information :) I used a silicone mold, light wrap on top and it went into gel phase without covering. I will know tomorrow or Tuesday. :)

Would you insulate PVC molds? I am looking at using PVC and am new... J

Would you insulate PVC molds? I am looking at using PVC and am new... J

I've only used PVC a couple of times (not milk soap) and wrapped it in a towel. It gelled just fine. I haven't tried it unwrapped though.

Im actually gelling a goats milk with honey soap as we speak. Im using a PVC mold and it definately feels very warm to the touch. I put it on my radiator set on low to get it started because I soap so cool to start with. Now it's just hanging out on my soaping table because I dont want it to overheat. I hope I dont get a partial gel, I hate that. I will update on how this method works for me. Im hoping it stays creamy looking in color, so far it has...

Im actually gelling a goats milk with honey soap as we speak. Im using a PVC mold and it definately feels very warm to the touch. I put it on my radiator set on low to get it started because I soap so cool to start with. Now it's just hanging out on my soaping table because I dont want it to overheat. I hope I dont get a partial gel, I hate that. I will update on how this method works for me. Im hoping it stays creamy looking in color, so far it has...

Did you use any EO or FO? If so what scent and who did you get it from. That'll be helpful for us to shop if it stays creamy & white'ish :)

Did you use any EO or FO? If so what scent and who did you get it from. That'll be helpful for us to shop if it stays creamy & white'ish :)
I left it unscented because thats what the store owner mentioned her customers wanted. Its an oatmeal, goatmilk n honey soap. I did add a little titanium dioxide to part of the batch because I was going for a swirly "milk & honey" look but I can vouch for my last goats milk soap that I didnt add any titanium dioxide to... it stayed nice and creamy. I didn't gell it though either so that prolly had a bit to do with it. That one I scented with clary sage, patchouli and a touch of peppermint. All from Bramble berry :)

The only soaps we make are Goatmilk Soaps using fresh goats milk not powdered or canned, and we use round PVC piping, end capping one end only - 19 Naturals and 27 scented - scented being either EO's or FO's.

We only wrap the tubes in winter, and because we usually mould around 20 tubes at a time, bit difficult to wrap individually so I get towels and wrap the tubes all together - don't have any problems with gelling or "touch wood" haven't had to date.

The only soaps we make are Goatmilk Soaps using fresh goats milk not powdered or canned, and we use round PVC piping, end capping one end only - 19 Naturals and 27 scented - scented being either EO's or FO's.

We only wrap the tubes in winter, and because we usually mould around 20 tubes at a time, bit difficult to wrap individually so I get towels and wrap the tubes all together - don't have any problems with gelling or "touch wood" haven't had to date.

Wow, 20 tubes at a time? Do you make the rounds more because ease of molding & space, or do you just prefer the shape or do your customers prefer the round?

Wow, 20 tubes at a time? Do you make the rounds more because ease of molding & space, or do you just prefer the shape or do your customers prefer the round?

We mainly sell wholesale so we needed to be different and stand out from other soaps being sold so along with the way we present our soaps and the soaps being round do make a difference for us - all soapmakers try to be different doing their "own" thing and boy there some clever people out there - even though I only use CP method, I love the craft of M & P - they are so pretty and creative.

Last week we made 39 tubes of soap in one day, that night I started blowing bubbles in my sleep :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Latest posts

Back