Goat Milk and Colorants

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danahuff

Reaction score
I have a question about pigments and 100% goat milk soap. I have never tried to color my goat milk soap, and it comes out a sort of light orangy tan/cream color. I have heard if you try to add color to goat milk soap, you won't get a true color. Can you counteract this problem by coloring it with titanium dioxide first, and then adding the other color?

I have seen other soapers using less goat milk and substituting water, but I wanted to know if it could be done with 100% goat milk.

Hi...this is a picture of one of my goat milk soaps, that actually turned out pretty white. The goat milk was frozen ans the sodium hydroxide added in small amounts until dissolved....the lye liquid stayed very white...did not discolor. Everything was very cool (oils and lye mix). Added 1 teaspoon of TD to my oils (total of 2000 g), then separated off some for the yellow and green colours. This particular one I put in the fridge so did not gel. Ended up, not completely white, I guess slightly cream....but pretty happy with end result :) Hope that helps. :)

IMG_7551 2.jpg

That's pretty!

I wound up doing the same thing. I haven't unmolded my soap yet, but it looks pretty white. Actually, it's slightly off white, but I think I like that better. I can't wait to unmold it and cut it and see how it turned out.

For what it is worth, here is what the soap looks like colored with titanium dioxide. It is a creamy white, but it is lighter than it would have been had I not used titanium dioxide.

photo-1.jpg

Back