Glycerin in cp - accidentally

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vidasworld12

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Hope your week started off great.. well mine didn’t .. I made a 2 lb batch and accidentally used veg glycerin instead of the sweet almond oil ( I didn’t read the label - just assumed it was the almond oil) just noticed I did that cause I was about to do it again .. it was about 1.6 oz
I made the soap couple days ago and just cut it today .. it cut fine and I don’t see anything wrong with it , so far .

I can still use the soap right? I don’t sell soap it’s just a hobbie.. it’s such a pretty soap I’d hate to not be able to use it

Tyia

As long as it doesn't zap, its safe to use. Not sure if the extra glycerin will effect lather at all, please let us know how it turns out.

As long as it doesn't zap, its safe to use. Not sure if the extra glycerin will effect lather at all, please let us know how it turns out.
Yes I will definitely .. I’m hoping the 5% super fat will help like brewer George mentioned I forgot about that .. will update once it cures

Given that lye calculators assume NaOH is 100% pure (with no degradation, which actually happens each time we open a bottle and it is exposed to moisture in the air), the 5% SF is really just a best guesstimate for non-degraded lye and absolute accuracy in measuring.

So bottom line, as long as your soap passes the zap test at a mere 48 hours young, my guess is you probably still have at least 2 or 3% SF anyway (maybe more if the bottle has been opened many times or the cap left off for long, or your soaking area is very humid), what with rounding up and the lye probably deteriorated to some degree since the manufacturer began the packaging process.

Given that lye calculators assume NaOH is 100% pure (with no degradation, which actually happens each time we open a bottle and it is exposed to moisture in the air), the 5% SF is really just a best guesstimate for non-degraded lye and absolute accuracy in measuring.

So bottom line, as long as your soap passes the zap test at a mere 48 hours young, my guess is you probably still have at least 2 or 3% SF anyway (maybe more if the bottle has been opened many times or the cap left off for long, or your soaking area is very humid), what with rounding up and the lye probably deteriorated to some degree since the manufacturer began the packaging process.

Such a dumb mistake..thank you for taking the time to reply .. such great info .. fingers crossed that it will be good enough to use.. I will let you all know in a few weeks :)

**** UPDATE ****

Ok so the curing time has passed and NOTHING ! yay!!!! it was fine, the soap was as good as the others I've made. I guess cause it was only 5% of the recipe it wasnt affected , cause of the superfat.. THX Brewer george
Thank you all. Just glad it wasnt a waste, It' s such a cute soap.

Thank you for posting your accident! I have yet to make a CP soap and I actually learn better this way :)

So glad this worked out for you - could we have a picture, please??
Afterthought: Maybe the safest way to ensure that a soap is not lye-heavy is to actually test it with ph strips - anything from 8-10 should be ok (it will further become milder while curing).

That doesn't tell you if it is lye heavy at all. Many perfectly safe and lovely soaps can be well over that. pH does not tell you if a bar is lye heavy unless you have done a control on a bar with the exact recipe before hand. Zap testing, when done sensibly, is totally safe and does tell you if your soap is lye heavy.

Latest posts

Back