added much less water in lye solution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hmg_soap

Reaction score
Hello all,

I made the following recipe & accidentally added way less water than was calculated. Soap looks fine but I am worried.

This is the recipe:
water: 1240 grams ( I added 920 grams only)
lye: 545 grams
coconut oil: 920 grams
cocoa butter: 565 grams
olive oil: 1700 grams
castor oil: 285 grams
sweet almond oil: 495 grams

Is the soap okay?

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,

It's not a bad soap at all. A lye concentration of 37.5% is not unusual. It is usually used between 30-40%. If you do not add dry flowers or other materials that can burn and smell bad or look bad, there is no danger. You probably accidentally used a better recipe now. Better and faster saponification and you got rid of "rivers of glycerine". Low cleaning and hardness. High condition and creamy. A cosmetic soap that does not dry the skin. That's probably what you wanted. Many of the great inventions were discovered by chance. :)

Last edited:
The soap is fine. As long as you used, by weight, at least as much water as lye, it will dissolve properly.
thank you so much for your reply!

Absolutely fine.
Thanks a lot dear!

It's not a bad soap at all. A lye concentration of 37.5% is not unusual. It is usually used between 30-40%. If you do not add dry flowers or other materials that can burn and smell bad or look bad, there is no danger. You probably accidentally used a better recipe now. Better and faster saponification and you got rid of "rivers of glycerine". Low cleaning and hardness. High condition and creamy. A cosmetic soap that does not dry the skin. That's probably what you wanted. Many of the great inventions were discovered by chance. :)
Thank you so much dear for your reply!

Latest posts

Back