Glitter/Mica Painted Tops?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welovesoap

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered before, but I wasn't having very good luck with searching for this, since the words are pretty common. So, I apologize for the (probable) repeat!

I want to experiment with painting glitter and mica on the tops of my soap, but I don't know how! I am a really visual learner and I was hoping someone knew of a good video or picture tutorial?

Thanks!

It's very easy and not complicated at all to get that shimmery look on your soaps. What I do is take a dry bristled brush (those natural-bristled basting brushes work great for this). I dip the tip of the dry brush right into my mica container (gold mica, or bronze mica, or diamond dust mica are my top 3 choices for a shimmery look), lightly tap off the excess, and then I tap the mica onto my soap in a stippling fashion, i.e., much in the same way that one applies fancy stencils to a wall with paint by stippling or poking the bristle end of the brush onto the surface of the wall (or in this case- soap).

Here is a pictoral video from youtube that I found that basically shows how I do it, only I don't use stencils like she does and I do it on my CP instead of MP:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awESTgSkQys"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awESTgSkQys[/ame]

IrishLass :)

I don't have a tutorial or anything. But I've done it 2 different ways. I've used a tea strainer to lightly sprinkle mica on top. I've also dipped a paintbrush in mica and gently ran it across the top of the soap.

Using the paintbrush, you can get the mica where you want it easier.

I usually do mine on newly unmolded soap just after cutting and beveling, but I've also done it on fully cured soap.

IrishLass :)

Aha! Thank you so much! (I tried to do it on soap right after I put it in the mold... it just made a mess.) :lol:

I did it with my finger and rubbed here and there on the peaks so it's just touches.

Back