Getting from emulsion to very light trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To retard saponification after emulsification, would putting the bowl in cold water help? Or is the process unstoppable once it is put into motion?

To retard saponification after emulsification, would putting the bowl in cold water help? Or is the process unstoppable once it is put into motion?
Saponification is unstoppable once it’s started until it is complete, however, yes, putting it into a colder environment will slow the process. This is why ungelled soaps take longer to saponify.

ETA: emulsion can be stopped though. This is how you can get a soap that has separated. The emulsion was not complete.

I love watching Grace to You's videos, and she is very clearly a talented soap artist. I also have great respect for Amy Warden of Soap Challenge Club. I did see Amy's announcement of this 1º theory, and understood her to be saying that it was something to check out, not that it was proven science.

It is my understanding that Grace uses a very standard recipe, with only slight variations thereof, for every soap creation. She also watches her temps very closely and consistently soaps at very precise temps. That allows her the time to create her amazing soap art, because she knows exactly how this consistent batter is going to behave.

Thus, it may be true that for her very specific soaping recipe and conditions, a 1º temperature increase does indeed signal that her batter has been emulsified.

However, I would not want to assume that every other combination of oils, and every other possible combination of lye-water temp and oil-temps, would also be emulsified at the 1º mark. My personal experience is the opposite - that the amount of water (or water substitute), the specific oils being used, and definitely the temperature of ingredients all affect the rate of emulsion and saponification.

But maybe that's just me.

Last edited:
I love watching Grace to You's videos, and she is very clearly a talented soap artist. I also have great respect for Amy Warden of Soap Challenge Club. I did see Amy's announcement of this 1º theory, and understood her to be saying that it was something to check out, not that it was proven science.

It is my understanding that Grace uses a very standard recipe, with only slight variations thereof, for every soap creation. She also watches her temps very closely and consistently soaps at very precise temps. That allows her the time to create her amazing soap art, because she knows exactly how this consistent batter is going to behave.

Thus, it may be true that for her very specific soaping recipe and conditions, a 1º temperature increase does indeed signal that her batter has been emulsified.

However, I would not want to assume that every other combination of oils, and every other possible combination of lye-water temp and oil-temps, would also be emulsified at the 1º mark. My personal experience is the opposite - that the amount of water (or water substitute), the specific oils being used, and definitely the temperature of ingredients all affect the rate of emulsion and saponification.

But maybe that's just me.

I won't put too fine a point in it, but to quote the article by amy on the soap challenge club.

Here’s a new tip: No matter which method you use to blend – whether it is using a stick blender or a whisk, check the temperature of the soap batter when you first combine the oils and lye. As soon as it raises one degree, you know the batter is emulsified!!

This doesn't sound as something she is presenting as a theory to be investigated further.

I won't put too fine a point in it, but to quote the article by amy on the soap challenge club.

Here’s a new tip: No matter which method you use to blend – whether it is using a stick blender or a whisk, check the temperature of the soap batter when you first combine the oils and lye. As soon as it raises one degree, you know the batter is emulsified!!

This doesn't sound as something she is presenting as a theory to be investigated further.
Yes, that is definitely more emphatic than I remembered. I still don't think it is going to work for every batter, at every temp. But it might be fun to make a bunch of different batches, all in the name of scientific testing, of course! ;)

Latest posts

Back