Swirling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I was practicing my swirling again and decided to time my batter it took 50 min to come to a light trace and another 32 min to come to a almost medium trace do you think I needed to blend more or is this a good timing for my swirling recipe. I blended for 10 sec and then another 10 sec And then 5 sec to emulsion I'm just trying figure out if it's taking to long to come to a trace or is this good I'm still learning how to control my batter.

@KiwiMoose I thought this might be to long my oils and lye are new. Maybe I just need to blend a little more this swirling recipe has always taken along time I just never timed it before I swirled for an hour before and the soap still turned out really nice but I hate waiting so long and I'm a bit scared to over blend it. My recipe is 20% Coconut oil 20% Palm oil 15% Canola oil 45% Extra Virgin Olive oil with 3%SF and 40% lye concentration, I like using a water discount so I can unmold it after 17 to18 hours later with the cutter I have. Oh and I soap at 90°F. Maybe I'm not bringing it to a full emulsion. Maybe if someone has time and the supplies they could try this recipe out to see if it's the same results for them I know it's alot to ask so only if someone is interested. I've used this recipe quite a few times and the soaps so far are really nice I just have to wait so long and afraid of over blending or not enough! Any tips for this recipe would be so Awesome Thanks so much! 🤔

The reason I'm having trouble waiting so long is because the swirling techniques I want to try take along time and I'm scared to over blend and I keep pouring my batter a little too thin cause it's taking forever to come to trace. So this is my problem I'm having.🤔

Last edited:
Hmmm, you are starting with 60% soft oils that are slow-tracing, and your temps are low. Both of those will slow trace.

But it still seems like a very long time. What is the size of your batch? Larger batches do take longer to reach trace.

If you do want to trace sooner, try bumping up your temps to 95F, or stick-blending a bit longer. :)

Well I was practicing my swirling again and decided to time my batter it took 50 min to come to a light trace and another 32 min to come to a almost medium trace do you think I needed to blend more or is this a good timing for my swirling recipe. I blended for 10 sec and then another 10 sec And then 5 sec to emulsion I'm just trying figure out if it's taking to long to come to a trace or is this good I'm still learning how to control my batter.

I'm just a beginner, so don't pay much attention to me, but I stick blend like crazy, 30 seconds at a time, and just peek in to see how it looks between blends. I'd expect that to trace in about 4 minutes.

FYI - There is no such thing. Using less water simply means that you are using a higher Lye Concentration. Example...if I use a 33% Lye Concentration and then use 10% less water, I'm actually using a 35.5% Lye Concentration, NOT 33%.
@TheGecko oh does that mean I'm using to much lye. I always soap at 40% concentration because my soaps always turn out the best for me with a 40% concentration and all my soaps pass the zap test I just learned to do, and ph strips my soap is a 9. So I decided I will try adding 5% Caster oil for the technique I'm trying to do I'm just a little worried it will set to fast but I do this when practicing my mantra swirl but it does set quicker. I might also try blending a little more I'm just scared to ruin my batch if I blend to much.

So I just cut my soap and it's really nice but you can tell I poured it to thin and so it took 1 hour and a half I think to come to the right thickness the photo on the right is to thin and the one on the left is near the end of the pour and it's the right thickness. I'm trying to make thick zebra like lines. I think I will also try soaping a little warmer like Ali mentioned. Thanks to eveybody I will keep trying this till I get it right lol🤣 and I'll let everyone know how it goes.
IMG_20230731_122513.jpg

Hmmm, you are starting with 60% soft oils that are slow-tracing, and your temps are low. Both of those will slow trace.

But it still seems like a very long time. What is the size of your batch? Larger batches do take longer to reach trace.

If you do want to trace sooner, try bumping up your temps to 95F, or stick-blending a bit longer. :)
I for got to mention it is a 3 pound batch and I will try soaping abit warmer to see if that helps to.

That soap is 😍 😍😍
I can understand wanting to get to trace faster, and I would recommend stick blending a little more. Still short bursts with stirring in between, but more of them. If you like your recipe there is no need to change it. You will learn what to do for the emulsion - trace you want to get to with practice. If you are sure you are reaching a stable emulsion, your soap will be lovely in the end.

A lot of people would be overjoyed to have a recipe that remains fluid for 30 minutes or more. If you are familiar with Marina of Creamy Obsession and her gorgeous and intricate work, she has said in her comment here that she knows that she can work with her batter for up to 18-24 hours if she only whisks it. Lisa at I Dream in Soap also keeps her batter fluid for a long time for some of her designs.

@TheGecko oh does that mean I'm using to much lye. I always soap at 40% concentration because my soaps always turn out the best for me with a 40% concentration and all my soaps pass the zap test I just learned to do, and ph strips my soap is a 9. So I decided I will try adding 5% Caster oil for the technique I'm trying to do I'm just a little worried it will set to fast but I do this when practicing my mantra swirl but it does set quicker. I might also try blending a little more I'm just scared to ruin my batch if I blend to much.
Not at all...there are several soap makers here who use a 40% Lye Concentration.

Oh, such beautious soap!! You started this thread for what now?!
Thank you so much. Im just still learning to control my soap batter and was worried if I was bringing my soap to a proper emulsion because my recipe takes so long to trace and also try to keep my batter a bit thicker so I can have thicker stripes on my Zebra soap I'm trying to make lol😂.

Hi everybody thanks so much for all your input and tips sorry I had a really busy day today I might have a busy week so I will try making my Zebra soap again in a few days and I will try everything you guys have mentioned and let everyone know how it goes I will keep trying till I get it right LOL 😂

That soap is 😍 😍😍
I can understand wanting to get to trace faster, and I would recommend stick blending a little more. Still short bursts with stirring in between, but more of them. If you like your recipe there is no need to change it. You will learn what to do for the emulsion - trace you want to get to with practice. If you are sure you are reaching a stable emulsion, your soap will be lovely in the end.

A lot of people would be overjoyed to have a recipe that remains fluid for 30 minutes or more. If you are familiar with Marina of Creamy Obsession and her gorgeous and intricate work, she has said in her comment here that she knows that she can work with her batter for up to 18-24 hours if she only whisks it. Lisa at I Dream in Soap also keeps her batter fluid for a long time for some of her designs.
Wow that's really nice to know I like Lisa I dream in soap too. I love watching her videos. 18 to 24 hours wowsers that would really be hard to wait that long LOL 😂

Not at all...there are several soap makers here who use a 40% Lye Concentration.
@TheGecko Oh Thank goodness I got worried for a sec I actually thought the higher the concentration the more of a water discount, I didn't realize it meant using more lye. LOL for me I always use 40% concentration because my soap always seems to turn out really nice when ever I go less I get soda ash and glycerin rivers or something. I still have so much to learn. Thank you so much for your info!

Latest posts

Back