gelling versus fridge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaturtle

Reaction score
I have been reading some threats about gelling and was surprised to hear that many people don't gel. So far all my cp soaps went through the gel stage and I thought that was the "proper" way to make soap. What are the advantages of not gelling and how does it affect the cured bar of soap? Does the soap come out the same way whether you gel or not?

Personally I just prefer the look of ungelled soap. Although I have found that it seems impossible to stop some scents from gelling. I have had some gel after spending more than 48 hours in the fridge.

Wow. I haven't had that happen. All mine have cured just fine. Could it be the Fo I wonder? I haven't made one with OMH.

most of my CPs don't gel, and i'm okay with that. i did force gel twice by putting the soap in the sun and wrapping it in black, and both soaps were good, but they didn't harden up any faster than ungelled batches.

2 batches of goat milk soaps heated up and gelled, while one didn't. i have no idea why. that said, i liked the look of the ungelled soap better in this case because they look so creamy, while the gelled ones look a bit ugly. worse still, the oatmeal goat milk soap was partial gel and i really don't know what i want to do with it....i can't gift it and we have more soap than we can handle to use.

I've not had any batches that failed to cure properly due to not gelling, although a couple of them did take a tiny bit longer to be ready to cut (a day, tops.)

I don't gel most of mine, the exceptions are my salt bars and anything that I color pink or lavender with the Select Shades colorants, those don't come put the right color unless they're gelled.

ohsoap said:
I tried to stop gel with my OMH, big mistake... it is still a soft bar. I made it Nov.18

Don't worry; I make OMH with 100% fresh raw cowsmilk as the liquid, a bit of ground oatmeal and some honey, scented with honey and almond FO. I don't gel and it takes a long time to really harden up. Can take up to 3 months; but it does make a really nice soap.

I just don't have the patience not to gel,,, I did a batch about 2 weeks ago and I gelled half and put the other half in the fridge and I had to wait almost 3 days to unmold and cut the ungelled one, I only have 2 logmolds and one test mold and the thought of missing out on soaping due to "soft soap" occupying my mold was not a pleasant one.

Kveðja
María

could that be related to how much hard butters/oils you use in your recipe? I always use around 50 % of hard oils + discount the water with 5% and most of the time I'm able to unmold the next day.

dagmar88 said:
could that be related to how much hard butters/oils you use in your recipe? I always use around 50 % of hard oils + discount the water with 5% and most of the time I'm able to unmold the next day.

Maybe the water is my problem ,,I was trying lard for the first time, and the recipe was.
Lard 33%
Olive 35%
Coconut 25%
Castor 7%
I usually soap at 33% maybe I should have gone up to 38% ,, I have only been making soap for about 4 months but I feel I am ready to take the next step :lol:

Kveðja
María

whisks said:
dagmar, you really know how to make a girl green with envy - fresh raw cowsmilk....how lucky are you?

oooh, very lucky! We have an amazing farmer nearby where we get our milk, eggs, apples, pears, raw honey, homemade jelly and potatoes.
I love to be able to see and stroke the cows that give our milk and they all look very fat and healthy.
We bring our own bottles and we're even allowed to tap the milk ourselves directly from the milk tank :D
The chickens are scratching around in the farm yard (as chickens should!) and we've never had any better tasting eggs :wink:

:oops: Don't often get to soap with the milk though, 5 liters are gone in no time!

dagmar88 said:
whisks said:
dagmar, you really know how to make a girl green with envy - fresh raw cowsmilk....how lucky are you?

oooh, very lucky! We have an amazing farmer nearby where we get our milk, eggs, apples, pears, raw honey, homemade jelly and potatoes.
I love to be able to see and stroke the cows that give our milk and they all look very fat and healthy.
We bring our own bottles and we're even allowed to tap the milk ourselves directly from the milk tank :D
The chickens are scratching around in the farm yard (as chickens should!) and we've never had any better tasting eggs :wink:

:oops: Don't often get to soap with the milk though, 5 liters are gone in no time!

okay....i getting greener - what's the next step after green with envy????

you've actually got the perfect set up - you have access without the hard work....lucky, lucky girl.

seaturtle said:
I have been reading some threats about gelling and was surprised to hear that many people don't gel. So far all my cp soaps went through the gel stage and I thought that was the "proper" way to make soap. What are the advantages of not gelling and how does it affect the cured bar of soap? Does the soap come out the same way whether you gel or not?

I was always anal about gelling until I read the book "Smart Soapmaking", by Anne Watson. That has been on my top shelf ever sense. Before buying it I read a lot of negative articles about it because there were not enough pictures...how silly is that?

i like mine gelled, i cant put in fridge, but i do take some leftover soap and put in deco molds, so that doesnt gel, its kinda cool to see the difference in color, nongelled much lighter, creamier looking.

I made some champagne/chardonney scented on Wed. Took it out of the fridge yesterday figuring I was safe from gel and the sucker gelled!!! It is to the point where it is a challange to me now to keep it from gelling. I made some mango sage tea last week that had a partial gel and it looks like a bullseye in the center. Smells good though. The champagne smells sooooo good.

I made 2 batches of soap on Monday....OMH (unscented) and Lavender OMH...and decided to try the whole putting it in the fridge (mostly cause I remember using honey last summer and ended up with a volcano), so they were in the fridge for about 24 hours...and I took them out yesterday afternoon...and then last night that had little beads of oil on the top (like little pin prick size)...plus was sort of sweating cause was now out of fridge. This morning the tops looked fine and the soap looks so light and creamy. I just unmolded it and a little concerned cause the bottom is a little slick with oil...it isn't dripping or anything. I now have unwrapped them from the freezer paper and have them laying out with their bottoms up hoping will it will dry or absorb...or whatever it needs to do... :D

Sandy, the same thing (oil on the bottoms/sides) happens to me sometimes depending on how long I fridge or what I scent with. Usually it reabsorbs, if not I just blot with a paper towel. By the time cure is over, they are rock hard and dry anyhow.

Also I use a wood mold, and put it in the freezer for 2 hours before I pour. Wood contains a lot of water, so actually "freezing" the mold goes a long way toward preventing the gel. Once poured, into the fridge overnight.

I was just trolling the forum and came across this thread. Very interesting info. Making another batch this weekend and I think I want to stick my soap in the fridge to prevent gel. Just so I can see what the difference is for myself. :)

Latest posts

Back