Free samples

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlewis17

Reaction score
What do you say when people ask for free samples? This happens at least five times a week with friends and people from my work. I don't mean this ugly, but spend five dollars on a bar of soap and try it! Please tell me what I need to say. This is taking from my profit. Also give me suggestions on what to take to businesses that might stock my soap.

I have seen people sell small packages of the end trim pieces of their soap for a small price. You could always use those as your free samples for people if they insist.

I chop one bar from a batch into 22 "samples". I have gotten many new customers and lots of return customers from these samples. And they TELL me this is why they are buying full size bars, so that's how I know they work. I'd never NOT do free samples.

Think of it this way. Why would they blindly trust your product to be good enough for them to spend 5 dollars on a single bar of soap? I mean this in the best possible way. I'm sure you soap is wonderful, but they don't know that. First times free ;) then they're hooked for life

I do free samples. I don't think it cuts into my profit at all, in fact it increases my profits by making me sales. A lot of people won't spend $5 on a bar of soap unless they know they are going to like it. Face it, you can buy 8 bars of ivory on sale for around $5. If you are dealing with people who haven't experienced handcrafted soap, then they need a reason why. Samples show them why. A free sample this week can lead to an order next week, and many times more in the future.

As for what to bring with you to a wholesale acct, you bring your wholesale packet which would included your policies, paperwork, brochure, and a couple full size samples in the line you are promoting. Since you asked that question I'm going to suggest doing some searches on selling wholesale. There is a lot to consider and you need to be ready for. Some retailers require barcodes to be on your packaging. Do you know whether your labels will be with your brand or with theirs. Do you know your cost well enough to make sure you make a profit with wholesale prices? How much will your minimum order be?

Understand I am not saying you are or are not ready I just wanted to give you some questions to consider.

Last edited:
From a customer's view, I'd love to have a sample for the sake of knowing what I'm getting. I would not want to spend $5 on a bar just to find that it does not work for me. However, you could always sell the samples if it's the case that you already gave them some to try.

Free samples are a must for me at craft fairs. I almost always over-make a batch so I can pour some into a cute tart mold for samples, or cut off ends. If I'm at a particularly pricey venue, I might charge 25-50 cents for a sample.

The most important thing is this is an opportunity for you to engage your customer. What are they looking for in a soap, are they having any particular problems with commercial soaps? Do they or their children have trouble with acne, eczema? Does husband come home smelly from work? Is scent, color or appearance important to them? Then, give them a sample that will match what you've talked about. Once you show interest in them, they will show interest in you and your product. $$

I use to give out full bars when asked for samples. It got to be really expensive, especially when people wanted to try different scents. So, what I do now is cut one bar of soap into about 1/4 inch pieces and put each individual soap in a small glassine bag. I print out a label with the name of the soap and my website. If asked for samples, I give those away and everyone loves the packaging! I like Gini's idea of charging a $.25 or $.50 for samples at a craft show.

My soap business is really growing, and I'm in several stores now. At the Famers Market on Saturdays, we give out free samples. I think this is why I'm selling so much soap. We also give our stores a sample bar where customers can pick up and smell. We give each potential store a bag of four of our soaps. I think I get upset because some friends just think I can always supply them in soap. I think I will cut samples for them and this might help. Thanks everyone for great suggestions!! Forgot to say that we already have barcodes on our soaps.

I have been giving full size bars to the stores, and I will continue. I need to make packets like you suggested. Thanks so much!

I always make extra batter and pour cute little .7 oz flowers in a silicone baking mold that I sell for $2.00 ea or 3 for $5.00. People really have no issues buying samples. There are times I throw in a couple in their bag or give them away. But it is strictly my choice. I do admit they are pesky to wrap and label which is one of the reasons I do not just give them away.

I'll admit too, that making my samples is a huge PITA. But, I've had such good responses over the years from them that I just settle in with Judge Judy and bag and label for an hour. I just went to an event this weekend and someone asked if I had brought soap. Um, no - but I do have some samples with me (always in my pocketbook). Yesterday, two people from that event placed orders. They are totally worth the time.

Latest posts

Back