follow-up question for TEG!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBot

Reaction score
Previously, you said "Don't forget that hp soap is not always uniform - as soon as the last part is just cooked enough, those that were cooked enough earlier are now cooked longer than needed."

I've been giving this some thought, and I'm wondering: is it a good idea to stir the batter more frequently during the cook? Might that improve the uniformity? I typically stir only once during the cooking process, then stir in my SF and FO when it's done. I didn't want to be opening the oven repeatedly and causing fluctuating temperatures, etc. But it's not a souffle. . . Maybe it can handle the interruptions just fine, and would benefit from more stirring?

Previously, you said "Don't forget that hp soap is not always uniform - as soon as the last part is just cooked enough, those that were cooked enough earlier are now cooked longer than needed."

I've been giving this some thought, and I'm wondering: is it a good idea to stir the batter more frequently during the cook? Might that improve the uniformity? I typically stir only once during the cooking process, then stir in my SF and FO when it's done. I didn't want to be opening the oven repeatedly and causing fluctuating temperatures, etc. But it's not a souffle. . . Maybe it can handle the interruptions just fine, and would benefit from more stirring?

I have wondered the same thing. But I think hat I am on he opposite end of the spectrum. For my first HP batch, I opened and stirred every 15 minutes or so. I wondered if I was letting all the heat out. It took forever to gel. I was using a crock pot and I know that those are designed to stay closed to let the heat build up.

I also get better results when I don't stir - but I cook it for just as much as is required. It might be easier with a slow cooker as I can just look in to it as I walk by.

I don't think in general that the parts that cook first are then over cooked by the time the last part is finished - can happen, of course - but it is just something to consider when leaving a soap cooking for a long time. If you over cook the middle, the edges are further along than that

I seem to have a smoother soap if I stir more often, but I use a crock pot, and can see what's going on. The timing for me doesn't change whether or not I stir, and I notice my soap colors more evenly with less effort with stirring.

I also get better results when I don't stir - but I cook it for just as much as is required. It might be easier with a slow cooker as I can just look in to it as I walk by.

I don't think in general that the parts that cook first are then over cooked by the time the last part is finished - can happen, of course - but it is just something to consider when leaving a soap cooking for a long time. If you over cook the middle, the edges are further along than that

Thanks, I'll fiddle around with it and let you know how it goes.

Do you think it's weird that my soap doesn't bubble, creep up, or even move at all during the cook? I've heard/read that it will in a crockpot, but I haven't done the crockpot thing yet. Mine just sits like smooth CP pudding while it gels. Then I stir it and it looks like HP!

I've not done bakedHP, but there are times where I soaped warmer than I usually do without letting the lye cool down and using the slow cooker to melt the oils - I managed to get it to spill over on to my stove top! When I melt the oils and THEN turn on the slow cooker, it usually just sits and kind of folds over itself slowly from the outside in. With these times, underneath the top layer is a more HP-like soap, but on the top (until it folds itself over) it looks like CP batter

I've not done bakedHP, but there are times where I soaped warmer than I usually do without letting the lye cool down and using the slow cooker to melt the oils - I managed to get it to spill over on to my stove top! When I melt the oils and THEN turn on the slow cooker, it usually just sits and kind of folds over itself slowly from the outside in. With these times, underneath the top layer is a more HP-like soap, but on the top (until it folds itself over) it looks like CP batter

Huh. I wonder why mine doesn't fold over? Maybe the heat in the oven is less direct?

Do you know what temperature your soap reaches inside the slow cooker?

Thanks, I'll fiddle around with it and let you know how it goes.

Do you think it's weird that my soap doesn't bubble, creep up, or even move at all during the cook? I've heard/read that it will in a crockpot, but I haven't done the crockpot thing yet. Mine just sits like smooth CP pudding while it gels. Then I stir it and it looks like HP!

In my crock pot, it doesn't curl or anything until after the first time I stir it. It's exactly as you described, just a thick pudding and it sits there. My small and med. size crock pots only have a high/low setting, so it was a bit tricky to figure it out at first. I also seem to get a smoother, CP looking soap if I turn the crock pot off after I stir it, and just let it use the built up heat. It takes a bit longer, but the results I've had so far are worth the extra time.

Latest posts

Back