Flavour extraction

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenJ

Reaction score
Hello fellow soap maker friends, so i have a question?“can i swap f/o and E/O?! For flavoured extract oils instead?
Planning to go more natural but
I still want to keep the sweet fruity and cake like scents.

No. Flavored extract oils are for lip balms. Probably won't work. For soap use fragrance oils that are soap safe. You can find many that are the sweet fruity and cakelike scents, some suppliers may have natural versions of them.
http://www.crafters-choice.com/fragrance-oils/natural-fragrance-oils.aspx
WSP (wholesalesuppliesplus.com) carries some if not all of these.

ETA: I have used the rice milk and cardamom. It's lovely and soaps well. The soap is at a year old and still strongly scented at 1 oz PPO.

Generally speaking, no. It takes a specific formulation to stand up to the lye monster. Also, many flavor extracts are made with alcohol, so they won't work with soap or with lip balm. Some EOs - lavender, mint, lemongrass - will work with both soap and lip balm.

Oh sorry. Should have been more specific I’m thinking more in my whipped body butters. ?! I’ve heard of a lady using it for her line but i wanted to get your opinions.

1. they have to be body safe.
2. I still wouldn't do it. I don't want to encourage my customers to eat something they shouldn't.

Not saying you will tell your customers they could eat it, but a customer hearing that it is a flavored oil may decide stupidly on their own to eat it. There are a lot of stupid people in this world, that's why there's a warning on my flat iron "do not use while sleeping" because someone somewhere tried it or asked if they could.

1. they have to be body safe.
2. I still wouldn't do it. I don't want to encourage my customers to eat something they shouldn't.

Not saying you will tell your customers they could eat it, but a customer hearing that it is a flavored oil may decide stupidly on their own to eat it. There are a lot of stupid people in this world, that's why there's a warning on my flat iron "do not use while sleeping" because someone somewhere tried it or asked if they could.
Lmfao! Okay i just thought i would ask I’ll scratch that idea out. Thank you for everybody feedbacks. Xo

I think you'll find that there's more variety, including plenty of fruity/cakey, in fragrance oils. Maybe it's just my supplier, but they sell about 200 FOs and only 6 flavour oils ;-)
This thread is making me drool looking at all the FOs....one of the perks of having such a limited supplier is that I do limit myself to buying from the Canadian one. I think my head would probably explode were I able to get to the American market!!

Back