Fixing my sans Fragrance soap - Rebatch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyclement05

Reaction score
So I made some soap with my 9 year old niece (she really just watched and was allowed no where near the lye) and in our excitement we completely forgot to add the fragrance oil! At first we figured we'd just leave it as is, a cute, heart shaped purple soap (we used sandalwood powder to color it). But the more I think about it, the more I want to scent it, and though she'll never say it, I know my niece really wants it to be scented. So.... I figured I'd rebatch it but having never done this, I have some questions. The soap has been curing for two weeks now. If I were to rebatch it now, will it still need 4 to 6 weeks of cure time, or will 2 to 4 weeks suffice? Do I have to add water to the soap to get it to melt, and if so, how much??

Thanks for the help!!

If you rebatch, it wouldn't need another 4-6 weeks. Instead of adding water, I usually add a little milk (1 TBSP/lb of soap). It helps make the soap smoother & shinier. If you have sodium lactate, that can work even better.

If you rebatch and are using cute individual heart molds, the consistency is likely to be a bit uneven and have air holes or lumps. I think it might be better to make a new batch with the fragrance of your choice. If she's 9, I'm sure she wants it to be pretty too!

If you rebatch and are using cute individual heart molds, the consistency is likely to be a bit uneven and have air holes or lumps. I think it might be better to make a new batch with the fragrance of your choice. If she's 9, I'm sure she wants it to be pretty too!

this is pretty much what my DH said but I really wanted it to be the soap she "made". I suppose I could remake it since I noted the formula, and she'd be none the wiser, and I could just rebatch the one she made for myself.

Ah, what to do, what to do.

Does your niece live closeby? Could you invite her over to make "new" soap that she "helps" you with too? If so, you can take her to pick out the fragrance that way she really does help, and you both get what you want without actually talking about it, thus saving face, and getting more bonding time!

I had to do a rebatch for the same reason, and used a silicone mini muffin mold, the resulting mini soaps came out nice despite being all lumpy and bumpy as was already advised, an i put them in a large egg container and they look pretty cool for a rebatch..
ddl3m9.jpg

So I made some soap with my 9 year old niece (she really just watched and was allowed no where near the lye) and in our excitement we completely forgot to add the fragrance oil! At first we figured we'd just leave it as is, a cute, heart shaped purple soap (we used sandalwood powder to color it). But the more I think about it, the more I want to scent it, and though she'll never say it, I know my niece really wants it to be scented. So.... I figured I'd rebatch it but having never done this, I have some questions. The soap has been curing for two weeks now. If I were to rebatch it now, will it still need 4 to 6 weeks of cure time, or will 2 to 4 weeks suffice? Do I have to add water to the soap to get it to melt, and if so, how much??

Thanks for the help!!

I did the same thing on my first two batches. I think the first few times you are so afraid that it will gel quickly and excited about the color that its easy to overlook fragrance because everything happens all at once. I've found ways to chip, shred, slice and dice some of mine to use as inserts in other batches successfully.

Latest posts

Back