First try at coloring with Pigment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bama

Reaction score
Well it wa interesting. The color was bubblegum pink and very bright and pretty. I got my soap to light trace and added the mica that was mixed with a little sweet almond oil. It looked great and then I added some Strawberries and Cream FO from Aztec. The color started immediately morphing and trace speeded up very fast. I was trying to pour it in my little new heart molds for imbeds and i had some silcone princess molds too. I think it may be sort of pink but not the color i was hoping for. I am letting it gell right now. I may have to trim it as I had to glop it in the molds cause it got so thick so fast.
I was trying to see how the heart molds made of rubber were going to work and the mica.
I will not get that strawberry FO again.

It might get more pink as it cures. I've noticed some micas do brighten up after several days.

On the hand and I hate to say it but some strawberry FOs cause discoloration. I hope that doesn't happen to you.

Hazel it was definitely the FO. It was a pretty pink tilli added it and then it turned yellow and ugly and speeded up the trace. Today they look like Chocolate hearts. I am not using the Strawberry ever again. I am going to make some more this evening. I will take pics when i get done.

i would suggest carefully reading the manufacturer's description/ instructions of the mica -- some, regardless of how pretty they look in the jar, will morph into a completely different, usually dull, color. they're good in cosmetics, and m&p, but not in cp. ask me how i know ;)

Bama said:
Hazel it was definitely the FO. It was a pretty pink tilli added it and then it turned yellow and ugly and speeded up the trace. Today they look like Chocolate hearts. I am not using the Strawberry ever again. I am going to make some more this evening. I will take pics when i get done.

Do they still smell like strawberry? Maybe you could add a bit of chocolate FO to this and do something for Valentine's Day? Just a thought.

Paillo you are right about reading. I did read before I bought. It is actually a pigment. Sorry I am new to this powdered coloring stuff. I did get some Micas to but they were ones reccomended for cold process by Brambleberry. Ones that don't morph. This is electric bubblegum and it looked just great until I added the FO.
Hazel it does smell like strawberry. I only made up 2 lbs so I can use it some way or other. I am going to rest a bit and then start on another batch of hearts. I may only make a 1 lb batch this time.

color problem?

I used a blue mica last night and soon as i blended it, it turned purple, then I turned around for a minute and back to it, it was yucky mauve? So can anyone suggest a type of colorant to use in CP soap that remains true to itself for beginners to work with so we don't waste so much soap! Please!!!!

Latest posts

Back