First Step

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue hill

Reaction score
So, i went to the local health shop yesterday and asked the owner if she would be interested in getting some samples of my soap and maybe selling it in the future and she agreed! I showered yesterday and today with my first batch (cinnamon) and its not as moisturizing as i was hoping it would be but it wasn't that bad either)as im not in need of usin lotion, so thats good right?), so...
Im just a little confused now. What should i do? Should i package the soap im going to giving her (i'm probably going to wait a couple of weeks so i can give her one bar of the first batch and one of the second batch that still needs curing)..its just for her personal use. Should i have given it to friends instead so they could try it first? made more batches?
How did you go about this?
Id appreciate ANY input , im so clueless!

I would make more and give to family and friends before I would sell to a store. Practice makes perfect. I've made over 30 soaps and am still learning each time. Plus half the fun is waiting for feed back from family and friends to see what they like and what they dont. I made over 25 pounds of soap for Christmas to give to family and I was shocked at what they liked and what they did not. Hope this helps.. It is very cool a store wants to sell your products. Also I dont know what the laws are in Sweden but make sure you are careful.

I have to agree - at this point you really should be giving to friends and family to try first. I know how exciting it is when you find someone who wants to buy your stuff, you just need to get other people's feedback first sd friends and family will forgive you a foible or two a retailer won't and they influence your future.

Cheers
Lindy

Bumpity bump (means ITA); when i was inquiring about purchasing some Marula oil from vendor (because FNWL is out of stock), I turned down an offer from them to sell my soaps, I'm not that ready, am in the experimenting stages of developing which butters & oils make quality soaps. I know it excites you to get such a offer, but it's best to get user feedback from your family & friends whom will give you their absolute honest opinion(s).

Thanks for the advice, i guess i was a little too impulsive. Anyway, i dont think shes going anywhere. :)

blue hill said:
So, i went to the local health shop yesterday and asked the owner if she would be interested in getting some samples of my soap and maybe selling it in the future and she agreed! I showered yesterday and today with my first batch (cinnamon) and its not as moisturizing as i was hoping it would be but it wasn't that bad either)as im not in need of usin lotion, so thats good right?), so...
Im just a little confused now. What should i do? Should i package the soap im going to giving her (i'm probably going to wait a couple of weeks so i can give her one bar of the first batch and one of the second batch that still needs curing)..its just for her personal use. Should i have given it to friends instead so they could try it first? made more batches?
How did you go about this?
Id appreciate ANY input , im so clueless!
Your first batch hunh?

Any soap you give her is going to represent your soap, so don't give her anything short of perfect. You really need a formula you are proud of and confidence you can time and again produce the identical product before going into that sort of a situation. She's a business contact and not your mother - so while you can test new ideas with her, I wouldn't think it appropriate to do initial tests with her. You really need to put your BEST foot forward..

I don't know about the laws in Sweden, but here in the US and in the parts of Europe and Canada I know anything about, you'd better have your ducks in a row before selling. Insurance, certifications, registration...

And do you have a company name? Is your packaging the way you like it? Do you know how much you can and should sell your soaps for? How much you can produce and provide and what the timeline would be like?

Beyond that - do you know your soap is safe?

Everyone makes some very good points here. I'm well into the triple digits on batches, and I'm still not feeling ready for sales. Give yourself some time to perfect your art AND enjoy the process. :)

Brenda. i used ground cinnamon and also a few drops of essential oil, but not quite enough. I read that soap absorbs scents, though, so i stored the soap in a tupperware box with and a couple of drops of Eo on cottonballs and they retained a little scent.

Carebare, im afraid the answer to all these questions is No. I have some very basic ideas about packaging...anyhow now Ive made other arrangements to give them to friends who have agreed to test my soap. I have used the soap and dont think i would ever give it to someone to use until i had tried it myself but beyond that...how do you test for safety?

test? start with a simple zap test, but also get to know your EOs. cinnamon is tricky, just for starters.

I'm glad you've pulled back. Remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression!

I feel ya. I was given the opportunity to sell my soaps in a really nice boutique, however I think I am holding off on that right now. Parties with friends who want to buy your soaps are one thing, but selling to the general public...that kinda scares me a little.

Latest posts

Back