First Soap Smells Weird

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleMissSunshine

Reaction score
I made my first CP soap...actually a couple months ago now. End of March? It came out really well. I did the zap test and everything, and it was fine. It was just a little 1lb loaf, really cute. Here is my recipe:

6 oz pure olive oil
4 oz palm oil
4 oz coconut oil (76 degrees)
1 oz castor oil

4.95 oz distilled water
2.10 oz lye

Plus I used 0.7oz of Amber Noir FO from CS.
28363-03224c316aee79213d379581610a239a.jpg

I have one bar in the shower, and 3 bars sitting on a rack in my hallway. The 3 bars on the rack still smell like the FO, a bit faint, but still smell like it. However, the one in the shower....whenever I use it, it smells...rank? My husband says it smells like "really strong soap". This may be a little gross, but it smells like if a man hadn't showered for a while and got really sweaty and gross and then washed with soap. Like...the combination of sweaty man and soap lol. I thought my shower poof had gotten moldy or something and replaced it. But nope, it's the soap. When it's dry it smells mostly just like the FO, but still really...soapy? But like...yucky soap. I really don't know how to explain it. It's so weird. LOL! Is it just the FO? I don't think the oils are rancid, they were all brand new when I used them, and again the ones on the rack still smell fine. This is my first CP, so I guess I am not really sure what to expect, and just wondering if anyone has an opinion lol. I have also used the FO in lotion and it is fantastic.

Attachments

• 29570870_1879576215394374_6813329319931284922_n.jpg
    29570870_1879576215394374_6813329319931284922_n.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 9
What supplier is CS? I come up with two when I search by fragrance name: Candle Shack and Candle Science. Either of which could be your supplier. I'm not sure where you're at so I can't rule out the UK based Candle Shack (quick assumption based on the Google url).

How much FO did you use?

What supplier is CS? I come up with two when I search by fragrance name: Candle Shack and Candle Science. Either of which could be your supplier. I'm not sure where you're at so I can't rule out the UK based Candle Shack (quick assumption based on the Google url).

How much FO did you use?
Oh, sorry yes. Candle Science. And as stated in the post I used 0.7oz

You'd think, wouldn't you? But maybe being exposed to water has brought out the rancid smell? Is the bar in the shower resting on metal - perhaps a metal shower wrack or soap dish? That can create/speed up DOS.

Take one off the rack, cut a chunk, use in shower. If you still get that smell, it's oils or FO. If not, the one in the shower went bad. What soap dish are you using? If it's metal, even coated, I'd be suspect....

Could be the hot water bringing out different notes, too. Try one of the new ones at the sink with hot water and see what you get, as compliment to NsMar42111's advice.

Amber IS typically a musky scent.

So, I did as you all suggested and took one off the rack, cut it in half and washed my hands very thoroughly with it in very warm water. It just smelled like the FO. The one in the shower is on a metal soap tray. I got it at Walmart. So what does that mean? It's only the one in the shower that smells. So it's gone bad somehow?

The soap might be interacting poorly with the metal in the soap tray then. You could try removing the outside of that soap bar with a potato peeler and switching to a non-metal soap tray.

Resting on metal speeds up or maybe even creates rancidity. I think Deanna explained scientifically somewhere around here! My personal choice would be to throw away the funky bar and use a good bar.

Latest posts

Back