First soap made with lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So tonight I made my first batch of soap with lard. I keep hearing so many good things about it but I hadn't tried it yet. I am pretty new at making soap ( like less than a year) and figured I would give it a try! Is it best to let it gel or not with the lard? Also will it take a while to unmold? I think it turned out pretty though and it smells great!! ImageUploadedBySoap Making1391648157.147959.jpg

Nice swirl! Lard soap gets pretty hard, depending on your percentage and overall recipe. Nothing better or worse about if gelled or not- completely personal preference. I hope you will post if you like it, compared to your other recipes.

Thank you! I call this one Liberti Tea named after a friend of mine that suggested the fragrance combination. This is a blend of green tea, orange, and peppermint. I used 20% coconut oil, 40% lard, 30% olive oil, and 10% cocoa butter. I'll take pics after I cut it and definitely let you all know how I like it after it cures! :)

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to try it! I love my other soaps and they wY they make my skin feel, but I have heard so many good things about lard so I am trying to be patient! Lol. Can't wIt to feel the difference!

Yes, I bought the lard at Walmart. It was only 1.88 a pound. Figured I would try it since it was so cheap! :)

Looks nice! Im Danis so I need an explanation before I og and buy something silly. Lard! Is that just the fat from pigs? Being from a pig-producing country it's really cheap here:) so it would be great for my wallet:)

Looks nice! Im Danis so I need an explanation before I og and buy something silly. Lard! Is that just the fat from pigs? Being from a pig-producing country it's really cheap here:) so it would be great for my wallet:)

Lard is svinefedt. Cheapest in Rema.

Yes, lard is just pig fat. I hear that it makes wonderful soap. :) I can't wait to try it and feel the difference. :)

Back