First near disaster averted

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rauland04

Reaction score
Well, I have made 2 batches in 2 days... a lot for me.

First was my first time with goats milk. I had room temp 50/50 lye water and used canned GM to make up the rest of the liquids. All went well and I have a lovely cream colored soap.

Next was a 100% coconut oil with canned coconut milk. Made it the same way, adding the coconut milk to room temp 50/50 lye water. CO was just about 90F when I added the lye. Wow it got hot fast. Got it in the mold and left uninsulated on the counter while cutting the other soap. Looked over and it was starting to split like I was about to have a volcano in the kitchen. Got it in the freezer double quick, which saved it. It sat there an hour or so and then spent the night in the fridge.

Good work , you never know what soap might do , quick thinking saves many a batch . Glad it worked out for you :D

Did that happen cuz of the milk? Did you freeze the milk?

I want to try my luck at GM also , well I have been saying that for a couple years....

Whats that old saying....Weight broke the wagon......

That is an interesting incident. Glad you were able to save it! Thanks for sharing with us.

I am also one of those who have been planning to soap with milk as well. I wanted to try GM but it's difficult to locate around here. And I've read that powder GM doesn't have any fat left, so that's not a good idea. Although I have used powder GM and thought the soap was nice and smooth.

I am planning to soap with milk and cream this weekend. :)

Euphoric said:
Did that happen cuz of the milk? Did you freeze the milk?

I want to try my luck at GM also , well I have been saying that for a couple years....

Whats that old saying....Weight broke the wagon......

I hope you have better luck than me. I have sworn off milk. (Although I have a can of coconut cream I am dying to try, but am a-sceered now.)

I learned soapmaking with goat's milk and only recently have experimented with other liquids, including water. (I feel like I'm cheating!) I always start with frozen milk, and keep the lye bowl in a sink of water, sometimes with ice cubes in it.

Would it really matter if the goat's milk has fat in it or not? Using water or tea doesn't have any fat in it either.....I don't know, but that's my reasoning.

Justpeachy said:
Would it really matter if the goat's milk has fat in it or not? Using water or tea doesn't have any fat in it either.....I don't know, but that's my reasoning.

The fat in milk will make the soap much more creamier and moisturizing soap - also suppose to feel really luxurious too. :)

I've read that the soap should be partially frozen too - so it doesn't burn & become a wreck.

But since you've made both kind so far, have you noticed any difference?

When I make my first real milk (and not powder GM) bar this weekend, I will find out!

Latest posts

Back