First Laundry Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not had any noticeable fading and have been using it for quite some time now. I wear mostly dark clothing so would have noticed. Unfortunately, I don't have an answer to your other questions as I'm not sure what would happen if used in a bar bath soap as I've not thought of even trying.

Well I have read that washing soda acts as a chelator and also removes stains and greasy dirt easily.
I have also read that excess lye castile soap that will have a good cure will eventually end up with lots of soda ash (washing soda) on its body and this soap makes very good lather for a Castile.
I have also read from DeeAnna that washing soda looses its strength when it will be stored in a liquid form.

All these just brought my previous questions and the need for an experiment.

But do you have any answer for the oxyclean?

Does it clean the clothes well?

Better than I expected for both colors and whites. Sometimes I think it works better than the most popular laundry detergents, but I haven't actually done a proper comparison. I started with the traditional soap/washing soda/borax mix. I know there is a theory that the borax isn't needed, but as far as I know that is only a theory. The traditional formula works well enough that I am satisfied without experimenting further.

On the matter of Oxyclean, if you use it as 1/3 of the mix and you use 2 tablespoons of the mix in a load of laundry, that is 2 teaspoons of Oxyclean. In my experience with this product, that is as good as nothing.

While I was mixing lye (at room temperature) and CO (just above its melting point) I only used a whisk and for 15min I was trying to reach thin trace but with no luck. I finally used the SB for 5-6 seconds in order to have the trace I was looking for. So I after that I think I will never be afraid of any accelerating FO and recipe as long as a whisk is only used.

I have the same experience with 100% coconut oil. Before I tried it, I imagined the lauric acid would cause it to trace much faster than it does, but it's actually pretty slow.

The whisk works well with most of what I make, because I don't use super-soft recipes in the belief that they are "conditioning." The whisk won't save you from real acceleration though. That can be a very dramatic and instantaneous effect of mixing certain solvents or emulsifiers into the batter.

Did around 10min CPOP to the 100% CO while it was hardening in the milk package mold and the soap gelled right away reaching 80°C. It was really fluid while it melted in the gel phase. So pretty to see for the first time this phenomenon while I was squeezing the paper milk package. All my other soaps have been gelling in a wooden mold so I never had seen this how it behaves in my hands and how hot is it.

The gel phase is called "neat soap." This is soap in a liquid crystalline form. With 30% lye concentration, the melting point is low enough that the soap doesn't need a lot of help to enter the neat phase. Next time try a 35% lye concentration and see the difference. Less water raises the melting point, so you might not see full gel unless you start with a warmer batter and apply more heat. With a 40% lye concentration, you probably won't see gel at all.

Next time try a 35% lye concentration and see the difference. Less water raises the melting point, so you might not see full gel unless you start with a warmer batter and apply more heat. With a 40% lye concentration, you probably won't see gel at all.

Well my next soap will be with the 75% brine cleaned rancid olive oil and 25% CO using 36% lye concentration. Whisk will be for sure the only tool for mixing (or if needed a few bursts of the SB so as to rest my arm once again) and the same milk packages will be cooked in the oven at around 90°C this time for a few minutes.

As far as it concerns the laundry soap, I will post more photos when I'll make the powder and have the first washing with it.

I was curious, do you buy washing soda, or do you make your own from baking soda?

I buy washing soda. No idea how to make it, but it's about the same price as baking soda.

Another question: According to Cracked.com, Oxyclean is sodium percarbonate.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OxiClean

Apparently, sodium percarbonate is super cheap at pool cleaning supply stores. I haven't priced it yet. Anybody know anything about this? I might switch from OxyClean to this, b/c Oxclean is by far the most expensive part of the recipe.

I only asked about making the washing soda from baking soda, as I saw a tutorial online. I checked Walmart and Washing Soda was double the price of Baking Soda at my store, so I was curious if anyone had done this.

I only asked about making the washing soda from baking soda, as I saw a tutorial online. I checked Walmart and Washing Soda was double the price of Baking Soda at my store, so I was curious if anyone had done this.

Try it if you feel like it. It might be an interesting project. For me, there is enough work in just making, shredding and grinding all the soap, so I buy the washing soda.

Back