First EO buy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efeoli

Reaction score
I am about to buy my first order of EO and need a bit of help choosing them wisely. I was thinking about three categories, citrus, flowers and woody scents.

Do you have any suggestions on a good starter variety?

I would like them to be able to combine them. My biggest problem is choosing a few from the bunch, if I could I would buy one of each, I’m a sucker for fragrances and really have to hold back.

Thanks!!

I would go for lemongrass, lavander and patchouli. They all blend well with each other and lots of other scents.

I know exactly how you feel! I had to exit out of my Liberty Naturals cart without purchasing anything the other day because my total without shipping was about $120 and I hadn't put more than .25oz of any one particular EO in my cart!?!

I would also be interested in what EO's more experienced soapers suggest to start with.

For floral, litsea cubeba (which is a citrusy floral and is also used to help citrus EOs stick), lavender.

For citrus, a 10x or 15x orange (even with that strength you will still need to research how to make citrus stick), lemongrass (which is not a true citrus and sticks well

woodsy: cedarwood (juniperus mexicana) or similar.

I'd definitely do lemongrass.

Lavender is a nice safe choice and blends well with lots of things. If you want an alternative, I like rosemary.

I'd probably opt for cedarwood over patchouli (it's less polarizing, at least in my house).

ETA: I haven't had any of these discolor or accelerate.

Lavender, Lemongrass, litsea, cedarwood, rosemary, peppermint, grapefruit. These are good mixers and it you have enough patchouli is nice for an anchor eo, but a lot of people do not like patch.
New Directions Aromatics has a very nice Lavender 40/42, lemongrass is a very good price, and peppermint is on sale
Soapsupplies.net has a nice lavender fo that smells fantastic mixed with lavender 40/42 from New Directions. The last lavender 40/42 I purchased from the Sage was not nice at all
Cedar Leaf from Liberty Natural is fantastic.

another vote for lavender. most people love it. peppermint is also a good one that many people love. tea tree is also a safe one to get too.

citrus, maybe lemon? if you get lime, you can mix lime with peppermint to get a mojito soap

i have these four, and i find it's quite easy to mix these.

good luck and happy shopping!

Back