First batch of liquid soap + my labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adelej

Reaction score
So I posted on the CP board earlier this week, but I won't bother those nice people with yet even MORE pics of my liquid soap :wink:

Here it is, in a pump bottle! I love the colour, and it's a sweet mango scent (not overly scented but does leave a little behind on your hands which I like).

The white bottle is come lotion/cream I made from peppermint tea. Loving using this every morning after the shower. It's THICK but turning out to be a winning recipe for winter skin.

The label is my creation- figured since I give so much of this away, I should have a cute label for it. I printed them on Avery durable labels (scratch proof and water proof) on a colour printer.

Whoop whooop! Planning weekend batches in my head...

:lol:
Thanks for looking!

They look great! But I am a little confused by the ingredients. You list your oils, but you do not list any potassium hydroxide. That would mean that their is no soap in the liquid soap and just oils?

tlm884 said:
They look great! But I am a little confused by the ingredients. You list your oils, but you do not list any potassium hydroxide. That would mean that their is no soap in the liquid soap and just oils?

Actually, from what I understand (and if I am wrong please someone correct me) there is no actual lye left in your soap- it saponifies the oils, which turn them into soap- but from what I've read you leave lye off the ingredients since it doesn't actually contain lye in the finished product... It's like cooking something with steam- it gets cooked but doesn't contain any steam in the end... ?

You are correct, but as with the lye if no lye discount was used, there is no oils left in the product. The way you have the ingredients down it looks like it contains no soaps at all. For example, your first ingredient is sunflower oil. If it was treated with potassium hydroxide, then its no longer sunflower oil but a potassium salt of the sunflower fatty acids which is a soap. The ingredients to me look like there is no soap in the product at all but just oils.

As a newbie soaper the debate regarding labelling of ingredients amuses me as it seems to be something that soapers get their backs up about.

Cuckoo Bananas made a great statement in another thread about what the average customer looks at on a label and what is important when considering full disclosure.

The no lye lie, or omission in my opinion as a longtime handmade soap consumer and novice soap maker is neither here nor there. I was not aware lye was used in the soap making process and wouldnt have looked for it on a label. In the same way that the addition of relatively small amounts of shea or jojoba for label appeal wouldnt have swayed my purchase except for me to think that they sounded exotic. Obviously I dont speak for the majority of the soap buying public but generally we are pretty naive (read meh) when it comes to what is in stuff.

I would rather the label read lye, if anything, rather than caustic soda.

Sharna

Your liquid soap looks amazing! That's something I really want to try ... but have to make time to do the research!

Latest posts

Back