Why Yes, I did do 4 CP Soaps my very first time... What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffee Kitchen Soap is a cook's best friend! It removes stinky odors like garlic, onion and fish from the hands. Yes, it really does do that. :cool: Back in the day, a favorite housewarming gift was made up of 3 soaps: Kitchen (Coffee), Gardener's (Herbal) & Mechanic's (Pumice). šŸŽ

Read reviews here.
That sounds like a lovely housewarming gift!!

Many perfume shops here have a pot of coffee beans for customers to smell, when they have tested too many fragrances. It tends to absord scent molecules... I read that it was due to the quantity of nitrogen in coffee. Oh I sound like a chemist šŸ˜œ but alas, all I can say is that it works for me ! I have ground coffee next to my essential oils when making up a scent, and it does work wonders ;)

Many perfume shops here have a pot of coffee beans for customers to smell, when they have tested too many fragrances. It tends to absord scent molecules... I read that it was due to the quantity of nitrogen in coffee. Oh I sound like a chemist šŸ˜œ but alas, all I can say is that it works for me ! I have ground coffee next to my essential oils when making up a scent, and it does work wonders ;)
Thatā€™s a great idea, as when Iā€™m picking out my fragrances I get overwhelmed with the scents. I feel I can ā€œtasteā€ them, which I do not want to do!

So what is the benefit of using coffee? Other than it sounds cool šŸ˜Ž
IMHO ~ after researching various add-ins and their true benefits for skin after having gone through any of the various soap making processes, most add-ins usually don't contribute much functionality to the finished product, therefore it's mostly just for the coolness or wow factor. I use my infused oils topically for my skin issues (so I get the benefits of the ginger, mint, clove, etc) and keep my soaps as natural & simple as possible (oils, butters, milks, lye). That being said, I have come across articles stating that the stimulating effects of caffeine in coffee can be beneficial for increasing circulation to skin and to help decrease the look & texture of cellulite. But, it has a much stronger effect when used directly on the skin in a body scrub or massage oil, not sure about how beneficial it actually is when added to soap. Maybe adding finely ground coffee to the batter when stick blending would have some benefits? Just remember, if lye can change an oil into soap, what is it doing to other ingredients? Not saying that in a bad way, just consider the chemical effects of lye ~ just because an ingredient "performs well" in a recipe, doesn't necessarily mean it retains all of its beneficial properties after being processed with lye.
So, if you just want to make coffee soap, then make coffee soap that pleases your senses. But if you want the benefits, then consider the science part of soap making.
Happy soaping!

Not Perfect, But I love them! My first Batches of CP Soap

Let me start first by saying thank you so much to this community for being here.
Your advice, examples, stories, comments, wins, loses, etc... all of them help a beginning soapmaker like me so much.

The Deets:

I made 4 different batches on Monday morning.

Batch #1 - "Orange you Glad There was no Banana?"
- Coconut Oil & Olive Oil
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Lye water
- 2 color mica blend
- Custom FO blend with orange and citrus scents
- Olive oil was infused with orange rinds
(Still in the mold, poor thing needed more "rest".)

Batch #2 - "Coffee Powered"
- Canola, Coconut, & Olive Oil
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Lye water
- 2 color mica blend
- Custom FO blend with coconut and clove scents
- Olive oil was infused with dark roast coffee beans

Batch #3 - "A Wish for a Rose"
- Lard, Coconut & Olive Oil
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Lye water
- 2 color mica blend
- Custom FO blend with woody and floral scents
- Olive oil was infused with dried rose petals

Batch #4 - "Rainberry"
- Avocado Oil, Canola Oil, Castor Oil, Peanut Oil, Olive Oil, Lard & Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp of sugar
- Lye water
- 2 color mica blend
- Custom FO blend with fruity and floral scents
- Olive oil was infused with an assortment of dried spices

Just got done popping them from the mold and cutting, well all except #1. :p
Gave them a little whack with my logo stamp and tucked them away to cure.

Can't wait till I make more.
Practice makes perfect, right? :D

Whatcha think?

Best,

Shannon

View attachment 71329

View attachment 71330

View attachment 71331
Impressive! My first bars were ā€¦..well not like these!!

Back