First batch faiulure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrJuggles

Reaction score
Hey there everyone
I had a go at my first batch of soap today (a few hours ago) and made my first big mistake (slaps forhead)
I tried a tutorial from this site here
http://www.smftutorials.com/beginners-g ... orial.html
and was very retentive in the way I set everything up. I read and reread the instructions, I set the ingredients out military style and went through the instructions stage by stage.
Then when I went back to my soap 30 minutes into it being in the oven, I was presented with the picture below

After reading and rereading the instructions I had put my oven on at 170 degrees Celsius (oops) haha, but this is how we learn and now I have an anecdote.
It did bring a question up though. How long should it take to get to trace, I keep looking on youtube and only having a vague interpretation of it. I think I was on the hand blender for about 15 minutes.
I'll have another go tomorrow I think.

wow! i have never had that happen before and i always put mine in at 170-175* for a couple of hours at least...
what was your recipe? were you HPing or CPing?

I got the recipe from a beginners tutorial off of here which says it is a mix between CP and Melting. The recipe said put it at 170 F but I wrongly put it at 170 C more than twice the temperature. I'm guessing that's where it went wrong.
I'm not put off though, my second batch is already in (though I put it in at 22:15 and have set my alarm for 00:45 so I can turn the oven off) It's all trial and error I guess.
I like the idea of this recipe as it seems to say it is a good beginners one and the writer is very methodical. However, if you have any other beginners one's I can sink my teeth into I'd love to do that. I need those simple idiot guides really before I start getting all experimental.

I am new, too. However, I think that part of your problem may be that your pot is too small for the recipe that you are making???
I realize you made the temp error, but that soap doesn't look burnt to me. It looks like it came out of the pot?? Or is it already solidified?

Also, the recipe I found for oven process soap said to check it every 20 minutes and stir it down. Did you do that?

Let's see the pic of your success!!!!

It overheated and overflowed. I normally use US measurements, but not everyone on this board is from the US. 170 Fahrnheit is 76 degrees Celsius.

That's the tutorial I'm going to try for my first soap too, sorry it overheated though, hope second try is better for you :)

I made my first soap following that tutorial and the soap came out very good. I love that CPOP method.

Back