First batch cut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
Yes, I'm impatient. :p
Not typically, but I was for this lol.

The color isn't as dark as I'd have liked, and you can see pseudo swirling from where I didn't mix the pigment in completely, but I'm happy with it. I'm itching to do my next batch , but need to clean up still and get some 'real' work done sometime lol. :)
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1404999620.304661.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySoap Making1404999633.739746.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySoap Making1404999633.739746.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
It looks great. I think the color is perfect, too much pink/red and you can get colored lather. You can add your color and scents at emulsion so they get mixed in better, no reason to really wait for trace.

Thank you. :)
I went with an extremely simple recipe and solid design, so I'd (in theory) have less chance of messing up. One scent and liquid red oxide, nothing neat or special yet.
It was neat, every time I peeked in on it, it was a different color lol. I was expecting maybe one change, as the edges dried and the center hit gel.

The scent did morph a bit, but hopefully it'll smooth out in the next few days.

Quick question, now that I'm looking at my bars. I did my best to spread my batter smoothly, and burp the mold with a few taps on the counter once full, but there were still a few small air pockets. Is there a more effective way to avoid or get rid of them, than the tapping?

If you pour at light trace, that helps. When I first started soaping, it took me a long time to have confidence that I had mixed my ingredients enough. I went for pudding thick every time, just to be sure! lol I used to bang the mold on the kitchen counter hard enough to send the cats running, and even that didn't always get rid of all the air pockets. Now, I'm able to feel comfortable knowing that my soap batter is emulsified, and I pour much thinner than I used to. Certain fragrances will make things move faster, and that's something you'll learn with experience. Make notes of which ones do, for future reference. I also soap at room temp, which makes things move more slowly. This also helps me pour at the very lightest trace.

The air pockets are just an esthetic thing. Wait til you use your soap for the first time, you'll forget all about them! Nice work. :thumbup:

I did note the acceleration of the FO, and the color morphing. Next time, I'll bang it harder on the counter - that sounds more fun than just pouring at thinner trace. ::giggle::
I soaped at room temp, as well.

I thought it took on a somewhat dry watermelon shade, as well! It definitely doesn't smell like it though...hah. :)

I actually watched some videos on air bubbles last night and when they "tap" their molds it sounds more like they are crushing those molds LOL I didn't tap mine as hard but I'm going to do better at that next time. I poured my first batch quite thin and it turned out nicely and my second batch got to thick way to fast from the EO I used and it had several air bubbles. Even tho I pounded it to death.
I LOVE your soap! I agree with one of the other comments, It does look like fresh cut watermelon.

i really really like the color. i've never used red oxide on its own, perhaps it's about time i give it a try.

don't be afraid to pour at thinner trace. i do this all the time (as well as soaping RT), you don't have to bang the mold as hard if you pour thin. if it's properly emulsified, it will become soap, no need for heavy trace.
also, every time you put your SB into the batter, remember to burp (gentle tap a few times to the bottom of the container) it first to eliminate the chances of air bubbles getting into the batter.

Thank you. :)
I tried an end piece when it was 24 hours unmolded, and it was rich in lather but a bit tingly. Giving it until tomorrow to settle a bit more before I try a wash and zap round. ::crossing my fingers::
2nd batch being poured today.

Back