First attempts at lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaldwin

Reaction score
made my first batch, well three batches of lotion, and I think it went well. 66.5% water, 3% glycerin, 7.5% SAO, 7.5% avocado oil, 3% cetyl alcohol, 6% polawax, 0.5% preservative, 1% FO, and 5% butter. One batch was Shea, one was mango, and the last was cocoa butter.

They all felt nice, but I am use to that stuff from the store with glycerin as the second ingredient, and they are kind of sticky.

The one with cocoa butter of course was a little thicker, but it still went on nice. All seemed to have plenty of play time and staying time. But then I had extra on because I was cleaning up and didn't want to wash it down the drain. I was putting the different lotions on different parts to see how much a difference I could notice. I think I might have even had to much on, it did not seem to be absorbing in to the skin anymore.

Not sure what I will try next. After I get use to using hand crafted lotion, I will probably be able to tell the difference with the different oils a little better. reading about what an oil brings to the lotion is one thing, but feeling it has got to be something different. I have caster and coconut 76 here at home I could play with. My OO, RBO, Soy, and FCO have not arrived yet, but most of that is for soaping.

Suggestions for what to try next?

Michael

FCO is pretty light from what I hear. Would it be best to drop the water down a little when using that one? say a 65% water phase instead of a 70%.

Michael

You might try substituting sodium lactate for the glycerine and switching out some other oil for the butters. SL gives a less tacky feel than glycerine. Butters can make your lotion feel kind of waxy and make it hard to rub into the skin.

Thanks, I might try an all oil lotion, Mine felt fine though. the 3% glycerin did not seem to make my lotion sticky. I was noting how sticky the store bought can be, and glycerin tends to be the second ingredient on the list.

Michael

Your lotion will be thicker if you drop the water percentage, which is not a bad thing if you don't mind it. There are some additives to consider once you've played around for a bit, such as panthenol and silicones. They make a noticeable difference in how the lotion feels on your skin. Refined sesame oil is very nice for a facial lotion.

thanks, panthenol will most likely be one of the first things I will try, well besides the standards stuff. I can use it in both hair and body products, could be a staple for about everything I make. I will keep sesame oil in mind when I decide to work on a facial moisturizer. I am a little leery of them because my wife and I have break out issues. Probably do a facial toner first. It will be after the new year before I order anything else to try though. I have lots of product to use up, and we will be traveling most of Christmas break.

Michael

I did not take pictures, but I will see about getting some of the next lotion batch. I am planning on doing that today or tomorrow. I have some CP soap I want to get done first.
I got the Baby Bed time FO from WSP I want to try in a lotion. Also got my FCO in the mail.
I think this batch will be FCO, RBO and avocado oil. Not sure if I will add a butter or use a little les water to make it thicker.

Michael

If you want your lotion thicker, up the butter a bit and use less water. I find FCO lovely in lotions, but it is considered an "oil-free" ingredient. Try putting a drop on your forearm, rub it in, and see how it feels on your skin.

Once you get used to using your own handmade lotion you will NEVER go back to using that sticky store-bought stuff. I never used lotion at all until I started making it, couldn't stand the commercial stuff, and I LOVE mine (not bragging, just saying...). Something to remember, lotion will also "cure" to some extent. The stuff you make today will feel a LOT better on your skin in a couple of weeks!

For all sorts of recipes, info on ingredients, and really great tips on process, and anything else you can think of, http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/

Latest posts

Back