First and Second CP bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryse13

Reaction score
My first bar is a 100% coconut oil laundry bar. The mold I used was a plastic puff pastry box from Walmart. I cut the bars about 20 hours after molding them which was too late for the coconut bars (I found out later) so they were really hard to cut then they broke apart once I cut about 3/4 way through. At least I don't care what they look like because they are getting shredded anyway! And they gelled, so I discovered what gel was, soo exciting!!!! lol

My next bar was a calendula oats and honey bar.
I infused calendula petals in olive oil and some in sunflower oil for quite a while, maybe 3 weeks before using it.

Olive oil 20%
Coconut oil 76 degree 10%
Lard 60%
Sunflower oil 10%
SF 5%
added ground large flake oats and some ground calendula petals (some from the infused oil, which turned out to be an ugly mistake)

I added 1 heaping TBSP of honey in at a medium trace because it seemed like it wasn't going to get any thicker. The honey used was from the bee farm (lol) so I guess it wasn't as processed as the stuff you get from the store. I'm thinking that added to that weird waxy stuff that was left on top. Or is it ash? is ash waxy? Anyway, when I added the honey it turned dark brown and wanted to stay in one spot and not mix in. I grabbed the hand blender and started mixing. Then i got scared it was going to (or is already) burning the honey and was going to make the whole batch garbage. so i threw it in a mold and hoped for the best. It gelled, which at the time i thought was a good thing and that meant it was actually going to become soap, but was still was worried about the honey burning.

Unmolded it the next day, was very soft. Cut it and left it to cure and after a week it got harder. yay. It smelt wonderful even though it was not scented and i have no EO or FO's to put in. Smelt like a carmalized yummy ness.

Ok after that long post here is the pictures!

calendula and laundry bar with gords.jpg

calendula oatmeal honey top view.jpg

I thought the top turned out quite ugly, but I can scrape it off. And it ended up having DOS but it doesn't look too bad.

Sent from my SGH-T589R using Soap Making mobile app

Your honey soap is beautiful--leave it exactly the way it is. :)
The white stuff is probably ash and adds to the character of the soap. Good job! It's too soon for DOS if you just made it recently. The calendula colour will seep into the soap.

Yay!! They look perfect and yes, ash is sometimes waxy. I actually like a little ash too!

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Your honey soap is beautiful--leave it exactly the way it is. :)
The white stuff is probably ash and adds to the character of the soap. Good job! It's too soon for DOS if you just made it recently. The calendula colour will seep into the soap.

I'm thinking the orange spots were caused by the Calendula that I actually took out of the plant infused with oil bottle and put into the soap. It made a weird crystal like effect around one of the petals.

Its been about a month since I made the calendula. I'm giving it away to friends because I think it turned out pretty good in the end. :)

Today I decided to chop up one of my bars into blocks as samples for friends and family. Well when I cut it in half I noticed that it is dark in the middle of the bar, like it is wet/fresh. It has been curing for 6 weeks. Why is this? I'm hoping I didn't do anything wrong.

These are the calendula honey oat bars

Sent from my SGH-T589R using Soap Making mobile app

"...it is dark in the middle of the bar, like it is wet/fresh..."

That's a normal thing. It takes a long time for water to migrate out from the middle of a bar, so the color can often be darker in the center. Give the cut bars a day or three and you should see the cut surfaces lighten and look more like the rest of the soap as those areas dry a bit more.

Latest posts

Back