Favourite additives for a sensitive skin/acne-prone facial bar?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My fiancé has requested a non-fragranced facial bar for his sensitive skin! I don't see an issue coming up with my recipe (probably lard, coconut, avocado, shea, castor with aloe juice) but I'd like to really maximize the additives.

Here's what I have at home:
- Colloidal oatmeal
- Powdered GM
- Bentonite Clay
- Sea Salt
- Activated Charcoal
- Egg yolk
- Plain yogurt
- Coconut milk
- Honey

I'd like to keep it pretty simple and I have been known to go overboard with additives, so I'd love to get some guidance on which listed above would be worth including. He really liked a batch of salt bars I made, so maybe I'll do a lower-salt brine bar with a few more additives for good measure.

Last edited:
I always use a milk in my soaps, most times Coconut or Buttermilk. For Acne prone skin I would make it a lower cleansing soap and use a bit of activated charcoal maybe a bit of colloidal oatmeal.

I have acne prone skin and alternate my salt soap with my regular lard recipe with nothing added but milk and my skin is in excellent condition. Very few breakouts. My daughters follow the same and have been amazed with how well their skin has come around.

obviously you don't want all of those in one bar, lol. Try some different ones. It seems like switching up really helps my skin.

So, maybe a salt bar (95% coconut, 5% castor, 50% oil weight in salt and 20% superfat is my recipe), a plain bar, and a honey bar. You could use the oatmeal and clay for a mask.

I make unscented/colored soap for SIL and his family, I use my regular recipe with a slightly lower amount of coconut and use aloe juice instead of water. I don't use anything else, too many things can aggravate sensitivities.
You might consider leaving out the shea, it can sometimes cause irritation in sensitive individuals.

Bentonite clay is not for the weak. I can use kaolin clay or similar as it it much more gentle than bentonite and I generally have great results with that. I suggest NOT using bentonite unless you have tried it on your skin and even then, test a small area.

Latest posts

Back