Favorite soap for personal use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a small test run of a variation of your recipe today. I used 50% water and 50% aloe gel. I mixed oatmeal (baby cereal, something I read about in one of Irish Lass’s posts), coconut cream and a tiny bit of honey powder (on a bit of a whim) into the aloe and then SB’d that mixture into the oils. It looked like it was starting to gel quickly, perhaps due to the honey powder. I didn’t want it to overheat, so I put it in the frig to cool it down and it looked fine when I checked it 30 minutes later. It’s a nice creamy color. Thanks again for sharing the recipe. (p.s. I totally forgot about using goat milk but will try that if I make it again :))
It all sounds great! I have some new supplies coming soon and plan to make a batch asap and will be adding some colloidal oatmeal to it this time. I hope you end up liking yours! I might end up trying some of your additions to a batch one day as well. I have only done it with goat milk so far, but trying it with aloe really intrigues me. :) I put mine into a fridge overnight just to prevent it from gelling and it stayed a nice creamy beige.

One of the reasons that I decided to try making my own soap, is exactly what you are dealing with. My skin has always been sensitive, but now as I get older I have a problem with my skin getting very dry, especially in winter. I have a goat milk bar I make that I like very much. I use frozen goatmilk for the entire water portion in my lye mixture. The recipe after that is...

8% castor
10% sweet almond
17% coconut
17% shea
20% lard
28% olive oil

You could easily add the collodial oatmeal as well, as I will be doing in my next batch.
Stopping back in to let you know that I love this soap! As I mentioned above, I added baby oatmeal, aloe gel, coconut cream and honey powder to the batch I made. I have a bar of this recipe in the shower next to a bar of the famous Genny bar (w/ HO Saff instead of soy and Calendula infused OO). They are both lovely, really lovely, and have some similarities and some differences. It would be hard to tell them apart visually (uncolored and unscented) except that one batch was made in a larger mold. They are both non stripping for my skin. With that little bit o lard in your recipe, the lather is a bit creamier compared with the Genny bar. The Genny bar has a bit more OO and the lather is just a tad slick feeling, but more in a silky way.
I’m in trouble now because, altogether, I have six different bars of soap in the shower and like them all. :dance:
How do I choose!!! :hippo:
If I find one more favorite I can name them after the days of the week :tub:

I don't have dry skin, but I keep my CO at 20% maximum because I understand that other people do. I guess if I was only soaping for myself I would try a 30% CO because I would like more bubbles :)
Anyhoo - I don't use animal fats or products in my soap at all, and the recipe that I have found works well for me is:
20% each of OO, CO and Soy Wax 415
15% Rice Bran oil
10% Shea Butter
10% Avocado Oil
5% Castor.
I have been experimenting more recently with coconut milk and oat milk (which I made myself). Both, in my opinion, make the soap more creamy. And I've made an aloe soap too but not used it yet.
I still haven’t tried the soy wax, but I made a G[0at] Milk soap with goat milk powder dissolved in oat milk. I also added some flax (guess where I got my ideas for oat milk and flax...). I haven’t tried it yet, but I bet it could become a contender for the line up in the shower!

Stopping back in to let you know that I love this soap! As I mentioned above, I added baby oatmeal, aloe gel, coconut cream and honey powder to the batch I made. I have a bar of this recipe in the shower next to a bar of the famous Genny bar (w/ HO Saff instead of soy and Calendula infused OO). They are both lovely, really lovely, and have some similarities and some differences. It would be hard to tell them apart visually (uncolored and unscented) except that one batch was made in a larger mold. They are both non stripping for my skin. With that little bit o lard in your recipe, the lather is a bit creamier compared with the Genny bar. The Genny bar has a bit more OO and the lather is just a tad slick feeling, but more in a silky way.
I’m in trouble now because, altogether, I have six different bars of soap in the shower and like them all. :dance:
How do I choose!!! :hippo:
If I find one more favorite I can name them after the days of the week :tub:

I am so glad that you like it! Wait until it sits for a bit longer and I think you will really like it. My oldest bars of this recipe are 5 months old and I love them more and more as they age! It has become my husband's favorite too, and he had been partial to the scented soaps. Try it one day with the goat milk. :D

I am so glad that you like it! Wait until it sits for a bit longer and I think you will really like it. My oldest bars of this recipe are 5 months old and I love them more and more as they age! It has become my husband's favorite too, and he had been partial to the scented soaps. Try it one day with the goat milk. :D
I agree about the aging, but I’m still too impatient to hold off for months to test them.

Latest posts

Back