Favorite soap-making paraphernalia?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I occasionally stumble across a post where someone mentions using an interesting, and new to me, item when they’re making soap. I thought maybe we could share some ideas. I’m happy to start :)

Ice Cream Scoop
- My inspiration for starting this thread was reading about someone using an ice cream scoop to scoop oils. Does it work? If so, I’m definitely going to give it a try because scooping coconut oil out of a smallish jar with a spoon or spatula is one of my least favorite parts of making soap.

Stainless Steel Condiment Cups - A few months ago, I read a post by someone, possibly @earlene, who mentioned using condiment cups for mixing micas. I ordered a set of 12 and love them. The shape and size works well for my small hands. They’re easier for me to hold on to compared with the little round glass bowls I was using and they don’t hold on to oils like plastic does.

Icing Spatulas - I have many different kinds of silicone spatulas, but like the long skinny spatulas by Norpro the best. They conform to the side of the bowl when I’m scraping, fit inside the little beakers and glass jars I use for measuring EOs and FOs and also fit into the bell of my stick blender. I originally bought mine for making lotion after seeing them in photos on the HumbleBee & Me website.
A188307E-3414-4727-A74C-19EE5EFF5285.jpeg

I use an ice cream spade for scooping out my oils. They're sturdier than portioner style scoops and work well even on cold hard oils.

https://www.amazon.com/Adcraft-SPA-...ywords=ice+cream+spade&qid=1585957445&sr=8-11

Another of my favorite things are plactic squeeze bottles with stainless steel ball bearings to keep premixed TD and activated charcoal in. I use both quite frequently to brighten or darken mica colors in soap.

Tiny plastic containers with lids from the Dollar Tree. I keep premixed colors in them so I can adjust my swirl plans on the fly based on how the fragrance moves things along.

(I have a favorite spoon for scooping oils but I don't know how it came into my possession or where to get another. I think it might be magic)

@Mobjack Bay I use an ice cream spade too. I have two that were both freebies, and I like one better than the other. The edge is thinner and flatter and cuts into the coconut oil better. But my coconut oil is in a bucket and I don't know how well it would work in a 'smallish jar'. Coconut oil is so easy to melt - have you considered melting your coconut oil and pouring it from the jar into something with a bigger opening to make it easier to get out?

I also used to use an ice-cream scoop, and somehow it got forgotten, but I need to go and find it again. Coconut oil doesn't bother me that much, but even to get a teeny 25-30 g of cocoa butter out of my little jar is a real struggle. Last time I almost gave up soaping because of that :)

I have the same silicon spatulas and love them.

For me, the best discovery was that I can use my stainless steel pitcher (I think originally for milk frothing) for melting my oils and then mixing them with the lye. It is great for 1 lb batches, not very much for 2 lb.

I also just got some of these plastic funnel pitchers recently for mixing colors, and they are great. I just used to use whatever came in my hand, but these make life so much easier.

I guess this is pretty much all the soap equipment I have... plus of course the woodworking goggles which I always use :)

@blueginkgo and @dibbles - apparently ice cream spades come in all shapes and sizes!
@Arimara - I have one of those, too. I use it smooth the tops of soaps I make in individual molds. I also sometimes use a wide plastic putty knife.
@Millie - How long do you hold you premixed colors? Do you stick them in the frig?
@atiz - I use my funnel pitchers all the time.

Another thing I’ll add to my list of favorites is small glass pipettes with rubber bulbs. I use them to drop EOs on strips of paper towel when I want to test a blend and they’re also good for drizzling micas. They’re easy to clean/reusable.

I’m just now starting to purchase in larger quantities, so I’ll definitely be checking out an ice cream scoop. But in the meantime, I’ve using a fancy serving fork for Palm and Coconut Oils. Cocoa Butter..gotta think on that. After chopping up my first 5lbs, I couldn’t soap for almost a week my hands/wrists hurt so much. The I tried grating it and was pleased with the results, so I decided to ramp it up with my vintage Salad Master. Took a bit to get the hang of it...Cocoa Butter is harder than Parmesan Cheese, but I finally got a pound shredded. I then went to pick up the mat and zap...static electricity...it was snowing cocoa butter in my kitchen!

Those Betty Crocker red spatulas from the Dollar Store...man I like those. I bought some the harder silicone ones, but they don’t scrape very well, but they are very durable for mixing lye.

My favorite item has to be the 1 qt stainless steel pot w/lid that I got from a local second-shop for $7.00. I really dislike trying to melt beeswax in the microwave...takes freaking forever. By accident I pre-heated the pot, poured the beeswax in, put the lid and shut off the stove. When I went back to it a couple of minutes later...it was melted.

A superfine salon mister bottle for isopropyl alcohol, to keep the ash off without alcohol pooling or dripping. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WXXIWVG/

Seconding or thirding little condiment cups or condiment tupperwares for mica.

Press N Seal style cling film for sealing in air during the first 48 hours, again to limit soda ash.

A battery powered milk frother tool to help mix mica into whatever oil or glycerin.

I’m just now starting to purchase in larger quantities, so I’ll definitely be checking out an ice cream scoop. But in the meantime, I’ve using a fancy serving fork for Palm and Coconut Oils. Cocoa Butter..gotta think on that. After chopping up my first 5lbs, I couldn’t soap for almost a week my hands/wrists hurt so much. The I tried grating it and was pleased with the results, so I decided to ramp it up with my vintage Salad Master. Took a bit to get the hang of it...Cocoa Butter is harder than Parmesan Cheese, but I finally got a pound shredded. I then went to pick up the mat and zap...static electricity...it was snowing cocoa butter in my kitchen!

Those Betty Crocker red spatulas from the Dollar Store...man I like those. I bought some the harder silicone ones, but they don’t scrape very well, but they are very durable for mixing lye.

My favorite item has to be the 1 qt stainless steel pot w/lid that I got from a local second-shop for $7.00. I really dislike trying to melt beeswax in the microwave...takes freaking forever. By accident I pre-heated the pot, poured the beeswax in, put the lid and shut off the stove. When I went back to it a couple of minutes later...it was melted.
Oh I've never thought of grating cocoa butter, but that might be it!! Thank you for the idea!!!

Has anyone tried grating cocoa butter in a food processor? The one I have is fairly heavy duty. I just bought more cocoa butter and grating it sounds like a good idea.

I have a battery-powered milk frother (Ozeri brand) that also has a little fan blade-like attachment that works reasonably well for bringing small amounts of batter to trace if need be.

I bought a very inexpensive travel size spray bottle at the drug store/pharmacy that works remarkably well for spraying alcohol.

@gecko I also like melting fats on the stove because it’s easy to see what’s going on. I use stainless steel bowls that I bought at the thrift store. They’re a little thin, but I stir periodically so the fats don’t overheat at the bottom.

I make small batches (about 500g), and the espresso cups I bought in a thrift store are so useful. They are just the right size for my for all my additives, like mica, citric acid, honey, oatmeal, EOs and FOs, etc. I line them up on my counter in the order I need to add things. It's also a good way to remember to put everything in!

Along with stainless steel sauce cups, I also have White Melamine Ramekin / Sauce Cups. I like using the white ones when I am mixing/blending micas together so I can see how the colours look against the white container.

I also LOOOOOVE my aluminium scoop for portioning out my base oils when master batching. It makes things quicker and my hand/wrist feels more comfortable.

Favorite beveling tool. After religating this tool the the back of the drawer I discovered the inner part of this zester could be used for beveling soap. A moment of inspiration and feeling stupid all at one time. ;)

I just hunted for mine. As an aside I have to ask how many corkscrews does one family need...........5 apparently.

Latest posts

Back