Favorite soap-making paraphernalia?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried grating cocoa butter in a food processor? The one I have is fairly heavy duty. I just bought more cocoa butter and grating it sounds like a good idea.

It would have to be really heavy duty because cocoa butter is harder than parmesan cheese. I was using the large hole cone because I thought it would bite into the butter better, but I got really finely shredded butter (hence the snowstorm the first time). I want to make some lotion bars this evening so I think I will try a finer cone...the one I use to shred carrots for salad...and see it that works.

@gecko I also like melting fats on the stove because it’s easy to see what’s going on. I use stainless steel bowls that I bought at the thrift store. They’re a little thin, but I stir periodically so the fats don’t overheat at the bottom.

I haven't had any problems with melting my hard oils in the microwave...takes about 5 minutes total. I start with cocoa butter by itself for a couple of minutes, then add palm and coconut oils for about three minutes. Then I use the residual heat to melt the shea butter. I could add the shea to the last minute since it is overheating it on its own that causes it to get grainy, but I don't mind spending a little bit of time stirring.

full

Favorite beveling tool. After religating this tool the the back of the drawer I discovered the inner part of this zester could be used for beveling soap. A moment of inspiration and feeling stupid all at one time. ;)
How does this work on round soaps? I have tried everything that I have but always get a blip when I rotate the soap. Someone had a woodworking tool they used that they said worked fabulously. But I looked it up and it was very expensive... Can't remember what it was now or I would share that too.

I have one of these but don't quite understand how you would use it to bevel soap.
It’s the reverse of what I tried first. I had to turn the zester over from the way you would use it to cut a strip of the peel, position the angled wide V over the edge of the soap and draw the zester toward my body. Like this:

03454370-ADC4-4020-B50A-407E7B9B98F4.jpeg

My favorite spatula comes from hobby city, stout yet narrow, it's a multipurpose little tool pulling out coconut oil from jars and stirring stiff Stearic acid soap.

350Wx350H-326603-013020.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B081SVZV38?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title#
This frothier helps with the microbatches with that little wavy thing attachment instead of the coil. Super easy to clean and perfectly sized. No bell to deal with AND corded. Love this thing. I believe this rec came from you Mobjack.

@Johnez That little frother/blender is one of my favorite soap making tools. As it turns out, it is also highly water resistant. About a month ago, I carelessly knocked mine off the counter into the sink. Despite being fully submerged in a dishpan of water, there was not a single drop of water inside when I took it apart.

@Johnez That little frother/blender is one of my favorite soap making tools. As it turns out, it is also highly water resistant. About a month ago, I carelessly knocked mine off the counter into the sink. Despite being fully submerged in a dishpan of water, there was not a single drop of water inside when I took it apart.

I was thinking about stocking up on these as I have a bad record with gadgets. Good to know these can handle the dunk test. These feel pretty solid, so glad I went with this instead of the Norpro battery mixer.

I was thinking about stocking up on these as I have a bad record with gadgets. Good to know these can handle the dunk test. These feel pretty solid, so glad I went with this instead of the Norpro battery mixer.

I just bought a corded electric milk frother as I sometimes need something with more 'oomph'.

Back