Fatty Acid question???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftflzright

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for a soap base that does NOT contain a high Palmitic, Oleic, or Stearic percentage. I am looking for the most basic soap recipe that avoids all Shea, Palm, Olive and Coconut bases. Is there even such a thing?

Frantic Mom :-(

Single oil soaps are your option...corn, grapeseed, hemp, safflower, sunflower, etc. Very soft, though you can add salt or sodium lactate to harden it a bit. Go through the soapalc list of oils and figure out a recipe.

Or a blend of the polyunsaturated oils that CaraCara listed.

Avoid any high oleic version of sunflower or safflower -- you'll need to read the labels carefully.

And, yes, the soap will be very soft and possibly have a very short shelf life.

I'm curious too -- what is your goal for this type of soap? If we knew more, we might be able to help you more.

Here are some substitute oils that contain low amounts of palmitic, oleic, and stearic acids:

Jojoba
Hemp
Castor
Grapeseed
Meadowfoam
Manoi de Tahiti
Sunflower
Sesame
Safflower

After much stress, testing and tears, I have decided to seek answers on my own concerning my child's allergy. He has been tested for tree nuts and peanuts, but it comes up negative even though he has a severe reaction if he eats p. nut butter or breaks out in hives when we put the "suggested" lotions and soaps from numerous dermatologists. I believe he is allergic to all of these things because of their high palmitic, oleic, and stearic counts. I am looking for something that I can make at home that I use to wash and clean my little one.

I am wondering if something like Meadowfoam or a squash oil can be used to make a bar of soap? I am new to this and I don't have experience with that yet. I really appreciate your guidance more than you will ever know.

You can go to soapcalc and see the fatty acids numbers for a large number of fats. Go here http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp and you'll see that when you click on a fat, the soap qualitites and fatty acids indicators change. You can find fats that are lower in Palmitic, Oleic, or Stearic acids and then formulate your recipe :)
Fingers crossed you find something that works for you and your little one!
mari

It's not that simple. I wouldn't know how to make proper soap that doesn't go rancid with those restrictions.
You could pour your soap in ice cube trays and freeze what you don't use...

Latest posts

Back