Father's Day Soap timeline!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilahblossom

Reaction score
I'm making a cp for Father's Day and want to use two colors but because of additives it will have to be all cp since I only have one crockpot. Also because of ingredients it would have to be two different batches. I have no melt and pour on hand either since that was my first choice. So what I'm wondering is if the whole thing should be ready in time to offer it for Father's Day gifts??

Are you doing crock pot soap or regular cp?

Either way, if you do it now, it will have 2 months to cure. 2 months should be sufficient time.

Thankyou for replying. I really wanted to do the hot process because of it looking rustic but I only have the one and need two colors. I don't think it would be a good idea to put a cp top on a hot process base. So I think both have to be cp and hope I can work up the second batch quick enough to blend properly.

:)
I've read in a "Idiots" guide to soap making that the author saw a soap that used all three--hot, cold and melt and pour to make some amazing looking soap. It's your dad/husband, he wont be disappointed because you made it!

You can do 1 large batch, if you want to use the same recipe for both colors and then divide into 2 pots before trace, and treat each as a separate batch at that point. Bring to trace, color and scent as planned and pour into mold(s). I have done this for CP, I don't do HP so not sure what your processes are there.

You can get crockpots pretty inexpensively. I saw one at walmart for around $18 I think, and there are usually a few at thrift stores and garage sales for much less than that.

Another option is there are different methods for hot processing. You can use the stove top double boiler method, put your soap pot in a slightly larger pot of simmering water, or you can use the oven method and put your soap pot in the oven to cook just like it does in the crock pot. Any of those will give you the rustic look you like.

If you are concerned about the time frame, you can CP your soap then cure it in the oven. Turn your oven on its lowest setting (170-180*), after you pour into your mold, put the soap in the oven. Some people leave the oven on for 30 minutes to an hour then turn it off, others turn it off immediately. Either way, leave the soap in the oven without opening the door overnight. I have never done this, you can do a search for more detailed instructions for this method.

Remember, whatever method you use, the soap will do better for sitting and curing for a while, so get started (if you haven't already) and good luck! Let us know what you decide and how it turns out.

Right I am going to look for some more crockpots. Meanwhile I soaped last nite . Wisconsin Beer Soap. And I think it will be ready to cut tomorrow for sure. It's so cool out, I'm a bit worried . I didn't cover it much for fear of overheating with the beer in it. It's in a loaf mold so more difficult to really tell.

Latest posts

Back