So what happened

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfishingski

Reaction score
I made these two soaps using same exact recipe and even weights were identical. They did have different fragrances. But used the same amount of fragrance oil in each from same manufacturer. Both were cp soaps.
Here is the biggest thing I did different.
The one which is nice and uniform in color I put in a 170 degree oven after pouring into the mold then turn oven off and let sit in oven for 24hrs
The other one with the whitish color around the outside I poured into mold and wrapped a blanket around let sit for 48hrs.
Neither soap is fully cured yet but been long enough second one should have been uniform in color
So why the big difference in appearance?
Is the second one ok to use?

Attachments

• 20240303_143607.jpg
    20240303_143607.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240303_143631.jpg
    20240303_143631.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Hi, looks like your second pic over heated. (Dry crumbly lower edge) It has lots of soda ash also. Ash can accure after the cut as well. Notice sides of cut bars.
I keep a light loose cover of some kind. Over everything while curing.
Some Fragrances seem to ash more than others in my opinion.
Using less water in my recipe. Helped me with most of my ash problems. Thru your recipe is another. It is just cosmetic.
Is there a reason you didn't put both loafs in oven? Besides the obvious ^they both wouldn't fit^.

Latest posts

Back