Failed swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once again I tried a swirl but things moved fast once I added the FO. First when I added the bright green synthetic mica, it turned an olive color and not the bright green but as I put it through the gel phase, it must have turned back to the original color. I am disappointed that I didn't get a better swirl but I am glad the color returned. Next time I am going to do a single color swirled into un-colored soap.
I love your colors and the soap texture is so Smooth!

Now that you mentioned it- What's 4H?
4H began in 1902 and it is a youth organization. Kids pick from different categories and either create something and then it is judged and they receive a ribbon and a little money or they raise an animal and show it against other kids animals for ribbons and bragging rights. It was started to help children learn and grow up to be responsible adults. It is a shame that it is on the decline because it is not just for farm children. There are hundreds of categories to choose from.

I have to say a few of my soap batches have turned out truly ugly. The color combination that made one batch look like raw meat was memorably ugly. As was the confetti soap in which I used way too much confetti and the soap fell apart.

Many batches have ended up looking very nice except it was not what I expected it to look like. Only a few batches have turned out exactly how I wanted them to.

The lesson I think soap is teaching me is to not have a lot of expectations about getting a particular outcome. And another is to celebrate the happy accidents.

Welcome to the club, Todd. ;)

I like the colors you chose. If the swirl didn't turn out quite like you wanted it to, look at the bright side -- the soap will all go down the drain with time.

I was a 4H-er starting in late grade school all the way through high school. In the rural community where I grew up, 4H was one of the few social organizations available to kids outside of church and school activities. It's a bit like Scouting, I suppose, but there are differences.

4H has always been co-ed (Scouting at the time I grew up was not), although some clubs' specialties appeal to some people more than others. (Like my 4H club in high school was mostly girls, but there was another local club that was mixed.)

In any case, it is a great way to socialize and get to know kids from a wider area than just your school. It was also a neat way to get involved in constructive activities. Many 4H clubs specialize in things like agriculture, raising and/or training animals, practical crafts, gardening, public service, arts and crafts, engineering/science, etc.

I have to say a few of my soap batches have turned out truly ugly. The color combination that made one batch look like raw meat was memorably ugly. As was the confetti soap in which I used way too much confetti and the soap fell apart.

Many batches have ended up looking very nice except it was not what I expected it to look like. Only a few batches have turned out exactly how I wanted them to.

The lesson I think soap is teaching me is to not have a lot of expectations about getting a particular outcome. And another is to celebrate the happy accidents.

Welcome to the club, Todd. ;)

I like the colors you chose. If the swirl didn't turn out quite like you wanted it to, look at the bright side -- the soap will all go down the drain with time.

I was a 4H-er starting in late grade school all the way through high school. In the rural community where I grew up, 4H was one of the few social organizations available to kids outside of church and school activities. It's a bit like Scouting, I suppose, but there are differences.

4H has always been co-ed (Scouting at the time I grew up was not), although some clubs' specialties appeal to some people more than others. (Like my 4H club in high school was mostly girls, but there was another local club that was mixed.)

In any case, it is a great way to socialize and get to know kids from a wider area than just your school. It was also a neat way to get involved in constructive activities. Many 4H clubs specialize in things like agriculture, raising and/or training animals, practical crafts, gardening, public service, arts and crafts, engineering/science, etc.
I have been very happy with most of my soaps so far. My goal for right now is to make a soap that is good at what it is designed for,cleaning your skin. Getting a great design and color will be my next goal. I shouldn't have used the word "failure" and instead I should have said, didn't meet my expectations. I have been using an app that really helps me with choosing my color combinations. I love the ideas behind abstract art and I want my soaps to reflect it. For example, I made a blue soap with a banana FO. Banana and blue remind me of a beautiful spring day. I plan to use fragrance and color in abstract ways for most of my soaps.

4H is an American club similar to the boy/girl scouts I believe. It's for youths. I only know this because I had an American penpal when I was 10 and he was a member of 4H :)

4H began in 1902 and it is a youth organization. Kids pick from different categories and either create something and then it is judged and they receive a ribbon and a little money or they raise an animal and show it against other kids animals for ribbons and bragging rights. It was started to help children learn and grow up to be responsible adults. It is a shame that it is on the decline because it is not just for farm children. There are hundreds of categories to choose from.
Thanks for the info.

Todd, I know you're focusing on fine tuning your recipe but have you tried an in the pot swirl yet? So easy and the results are super cool. My one word of advice is after you plop your colors into the pot, make just one round with the spatula around the pot -- any more than that, the colors get too blended.

Also, my go to recipe is olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and castor oil. Castor oil was a game changer for me.

Todd, I know you're focusing on fine tuning your recipe but have you tried an in the pot swirl yet? So easy and the results are super cool. My one word of advice is after you plop your colors into the pot, make just one round with the spatula around the pot -- any more than that, the colors get too blended.

Also, my go to recipe is olive oil, palm oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and castor oil. Castor oil was a game changer for me.
I am going to this weekend. I was going to last weekend but went a different route.

Latest posts

Back