Failed swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
Once again I tried a swirl but things moved fast once I added the FO. First when I added the bright green synthetic mica, it turned an olive color and not the bright green but as I put it through the gel phase, it must have turned back to the original color. I am disappointed that I didn't get a better swirl but I am glad the color returned. Next time I am going to do a single color swirled into un-colored soap.

Attachments

• 20200224_091930.jpg
    20200224_091930.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 67
Still turned out nice. Try adding your FO to your oils before the lye. Unless you know it's a mover. When I started doing it, it made things so much easier.

@Todd Ziegler they look good even if its not what you envisioned.

Have you ever tried a in the pot swirl? Its the only swirl do as its easier and I like the wispy look better.
I generally only do one or two colors in a white base.

I also have a green that turns a horrible mossy green at first but always changes back to a pretty green. Doesn't need to be gelled.

Still turned out nice. Try adding your FO to your oils before the lye. Unless you know it's a mover. When I started doing it, it made things so much easier.
That is a great idea. I will try that this weekend.
@Todd Ziegler they look good even if its not what you envisioned.

Have you ever tried a in the pot swirl? Its the only swirl do as its easier and I like the wispy look better.
I generally only do one or two colors in a white base.

I also have a green that turns a horrible mossy green at first but always changes back to a pretty green. Doesn't need to be gelled.
I have not tried that and I like the wispy as well. Do I just search for "in the pot swirl"?
I like the colors. Very nice! :)
Thanks. I like the colors too. I was just disappointed in my swirl technique.

Nuttin wrong with that swirl! And those colours are great!
Watch...the next time you WANT to get that swirl technique, you won't be able to, and you'll be happy for this one!
I did a hanger swirl the other day that looked like a flat-lining ECG, but someday I'll be trying to get a nice straight line and won't be able to....

You will find lots of videos on YouTube by searching "in the pot swirl." Hopefully you find a swirl that works for you. When I first started trying my hand at swirls, I found I was over-blending and my batter was thicker than it should have been. It takes a lot of trial and error, but you'll get there!

If your recipe is a fast mover you might try tweaking it a bit. I have one of my recipes that is a quick mover so I cut the palm down a little, upped my liquid oil by 5% and lowered my lye concentration to 30% which did help some. Unlike many, I never add my fo to my oils before my lye. I prefer to separate out for my colors, mix my colors then add in the fo to my lightest color. If it seizes to very quickly traces I will dump that in with my base quickly add in my remaining fo and do an in the pot swirl with the remaining color. Work fast and pour quickly

Nuttin wrong with that swirl! And those colours are great!
Watch...the next time you WANT to get that swirl technique, you won't be able to, and you'll be happy for this one!
I did a hanger swirl the other day that looked like a flat-lining ECG, but someday I'll be trying to get a nice straight line and won't be able to....
Thanks. I have been using an app called "color assist" for determining my colors.
This a good example of a in the pot swirl. I use the same colors for my black licorice soap.

I read a lot about the in pot swirling and I think I will try it. I think it will work out well for me.
If your recipe is a fast mover you might try tweaking it a bit. I have one of my recipes that is a quick mover so I cut the palm down a little, upped my liquid oil by 5% and lowered my lye concentration to 30% which did help some. Unlike many, I never add my fo to my oils before my lye. I prefer to separate out for my colors, mix my colors then add in the fo to my lightest color. If it seizes to very quickly traces I will dump that in with my base quickly add in my remaining fo and do an in the pot swirl with the remaining color. Work fast and pour quickly
I worked out a new formula this morning that has 50% olive oil or safflower, depending on what is on hand and cheapest.
You will find lots of videos on YouTube by searching "in the pot swirl." Hopefully you find a swirl that works for you. When I first started trying my hand at swirls, I found I was over-blending and my batter was thicker than it should have been. It takes a lot of trial and error, but you'll get there!
I believe over blending is one of my problems too.

Have you tried lard? Its slow to trace and makes a great soap
I have not but it is an ingredient that I say I am going to use on Friday but change my mind on Saturday lol. What type of lard would you recommend and in this list which ingredient would you switch out for the lard? CO, Castor oil, palm oil, Safflower oil

How are you swirling? Is it just an ITP swirl? Or a drop swirl? If so, maybe try putting a spoon down in the batter once it's in the mold and swirling the spoon to get your swirl.
That's how I swirl and I get nice swirls even with VERY THICK batter. I always have thick batter because 1) my recipe gets fairly thick, 2) I always mix scents together which almost always cause fast moving batter

in this list which ingredient would you switch out for the lard? CO, Castor oil, palm oil, Safflower oil
Probably the palm oil. Lard is the closest to palm with similar properties.

How are you swirling? Is it just an ITP swirl? Or a drop swirl? If so, maybe try putting a spoon down in the batter once it's in the mold and swirling the spoon to get your swirl.
That's how I swirl and I get nice swirls even with VERY THICK batter. I always have thick batter because 1) my recipe gets fairly thick, 2) I always mix scents together which almost always cause fast moving batter

Probably the palm oil. Lard is the closest to palm with similar properties.
I was trying to swirl in the mold but I think I am going to try a recipe with 50% olive oil with CO, PO and castor oil. Then I will try the in the pot swirl

Yes, you replace palm with lard. My go to recipe is

50% lard
25% olive or safflower
20% coconut
5% castor

It moves slow if soaped around 95. Sometimes I have to soap warm so I don't have to wait forever to get trace.
When doing a itps, I aim for a medium trace, thick will work too. Too thin and the colors will mix too much.

Yes, you replace palm with lard. My go to recipe is

50% lard
25% olive or safflower
20% coconut
5% castor

It moves slow if soaped around 95. Sometimes I have to soap warm so I don't have to wait forever to get trace.
When doing a itps, I aim for a medium trace, thick will work too. Too thin and the colors will mix too much.
That is a great recipe. I am going to try it this weekend. I want to make a 3 color swirl for easter. Plus I can use this recipe with my pig mold. I plan on doing a whole animal line that I will sell during our 4H fair. I will use lard, sheep tallow and beef tallow. I am still debating whether to make a goats milk soap.
I like 39% Palm with 23% Lard. The lard will slow down the palm. I use this when I run out of my tallow.
Thanks for the information

I will sell during our 4H fair.
I love our 4H. My kids showed sheeps and goats, my son also did rabbits. I tried to get them to show hogs and cattle, but it was a no go. Also we really didn't have any place to house hogs and cattle, so it worked out for the best I guess.

Sorry for the OT. I get excited when other people know what 4H is. Around where I am, it's all big city folks, and they have literally no clue.

I love our 4H. My kids showed sheeps and goats, my son also did rabbits. I tried to get them to show hogs and cattle, but it was a no go. Also we really didn't have any place to house hogs and cattle, so it worked out for the best I guess.

Sorry for the OT. I get excited when other people know what 4H is. Around where I am, it's all big city folks, and they have literally no clue.
Our 4H fair is the social event of the year for our county. My grandfather, dad, me and my sons were 10 year members. We have one of the largest and most expensive swine shows in the state. It was my favorite thing about summer.

Latest posts

Back