face shave soap help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntedsoaps

Reaction score
so lurking about ive found some info, but was hoping for some guys to chime in on what would best for someone that uses a straight razor.

Im stuck on wanting castor oil, and this clay that seems to be in a lot of storebought soaps. other than that, I have no real base on what should be put it or left out.

I would love to get something THICK and CREAMY and produces a lather that just feels smooth as all heck.

I just got into castor oil and its rather fine uses. and since id like to make a puck, I don't mind of the waxy sticky feel of castor.

any advice?

I haven't made shaving soap before so I don't have personal advice, but I did look into it awhile ago and I did find one website that you might want to poke around. Likely you've already seen it but on the off chance you haven't, more resources are always nice :)

http://www.badgerandblade.com/

There seem to be some soap makers there as well as some soap testers.

There are a few really good threads on shaving soap on SMF, with a recent one sharing a recipe (HP) from the badger and blade site. The recipe is:
Stearic acid 52%
Coconut oil 48%
You should saponify with KOH, rather than NaOH, and add glycerine (15% of the weight of the oils) along with any additives like fragrance or clay.
The shaving soap is not really a puck, though, because it's a little softer than a NaOH soap ....... But I tried the recipe this week with a small modification (adding 5% each of castor oil and shea butter - so slightly lower percentages of the stearic acid and CO), and it's great!
Apparently the key to a good, long-lasting lather is to keep the stearic content above 50%.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Back