Experiences with paprika?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicklet

Reaction score
Anybody have experience using paprika as a colorant? I infused some last month into some olive oil but haven't used it yet. I'm hoping to do some sort of swirl, maybe use a couple of different shades of the paprika plus some black. Does that sound halloweeny? Cause I don't want halloweeny. :) My questions are - does the paprika colorant fade quickly? Does it morph into a different color? Can I get orange with paprika or will it be peachy colored? Can I darken it with something like walnut hull or brown oxide or maybe charcoal?

Okay I just read the carrot thread and found out some answers to my paprika questions in the 2009 thread Genny posted. Thanks, Genny! Now I'm off to purée some carrots!

7174458025_a3997a8b0d.jpg
[/url]
sandalwood by rosetalleo, on Flickr[/img]

old picture, not sure if it will post - you can find more on my facebook page.

paprika at high concentration will give you a rusty red. However, it will accelerate trace quite a bit.

Paprika at low concentrations will start looking rose-peach and will fade to a tan in a few weeks-months.

Forgot to mention that it will not accelerate at low concentrations (rose-peach). The color shown in the picture linked requires enough paprika to cause significan acceleration.

Thanks for the replies. Don't want poop color so no brown oxide for this batch. :) Green soap your pic link worked - your soap is gorgeous and I love that color but I don't love thick trace! :) I have carrots cooking - going to purée them then add paprika to that. I'll post pics. Thanks for your help!

I made a batch of Spiced Orange soap on 11/17 and its still nice and orange. I didn't notice any acceleration, but maybe I was just happy it traced fast. But who knows, I've slept since then. :D

It was just paprika infused oil. I let the paprika settle out and just used the oil of the top without the solids.

I wish I had infused my paprika ... There's this one batch where I added it in its powder form to the superfat at the end, used WAY too much and ended up with eight pounds of gritty shyte that I'm too embarrassed to give away. The soap itself is divine, but, aside from the grittiness, the paprika washes out all over your body, and it's just a pain in the arse.

I'm grimly committed to use it up any way I can.

Could you make a batch of soap with no additives, and then rebatch teh two together so the paprika dilutes and is not as gritty?

Back