Experience of anorexic dog? Anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know he's gonna be looked after s d he likes them but I feel like I've let him down by leaving him when he needs me. I'm weak because I can't do this week again. I'm gonna lose him whilst I'm away and I won't be there for him.

I'm driving myself crazy over this

I know he's gonna be looked after s d he likes them but I feel like I've let him down by leaving him when he needs me. I'm weak because I can't do this week again. I'm gonna lose him whilst I'm away and I won't be there for him.

I'm driving myself crazy over this

Sonya, listen to me. Right now I don't think you are not psychologically able to go through this another week. Re-read your post - you said it yourself.

There's a very good chance, given the most recent numbers, that he will still be there when you get back.....BUT...

He needs to be taken to the vets for fluid treatments 2 - 3 times a week, (more even he needs it) and if he's not eating enough...they can syringe feed him. They can tube feed him. IV feed him.

It's important to keep the creatinine and BUN numbers down (It's okay if they're not normal/healthy - just low enough to keep him feeling okay)...that has a lot to do with appetite. FLUIDS!

Tell the in-laws and vets (I know you're leaving in the morning... you can leave a voice mail) to keep him going another week.

And there's also a chance that Buster will benefit from having less worried and stressed caretakers this week. Remember, the vet himself even said that he didn't think it was time for euthanasia.

Unless something new crops up, I truly believe he's got a good chance of being there when you get back - your in laws and vets must be on board with this. They can provide the medical support he may need.

But Sonya, if you honestly think you can't live with yourself if you go on this trip (I know you have a husband and have to take that into consideration) then don't go.

I'm concerned with your level of stress, also wondering if you feel supported by the people around you in the UK. You need to take care of yourself.

And you have NOT failed Buster. Absolutely have NOT failed him.

Check your pm.

Last edited:
Back home, Buster seems to have enjoyed his time at his grandparents and looks to have put on a little weight.

Worried what the future holds still as he's obviously ill bit hoping his blood test this week will be better news than before.

Also worried he's not gonna eat much still but right now he can eat whatever he wants as its better than not eating

Glad you had a little break Sonya - I'm sure Buster was sensing your stress as well.

Glad he's doing better and you've had a bit of a much needed break. I think your stress levels were increasing his stress levels and you were both feeding off of each other. I hope you can relax around him so he can relax and be himself, what ever "himself" might be these days. Weight gain is great. Just try to stop worrying (nearly impossible, I know) and just get on with being happy. Happy people and animals are healthier, heal faster and are able to deal with chronic diseases much better than unhappy and stressed out people and animals. Your attitude has major influences on his health.

Sonya, I'm so glad he's put on some (small amount) of weight at the in-laws. I'll be thinking of you and Buster and sending positive thoughts for good test results.

I think you are one of the most wonderful pet mommies I've ever seen/read. You should take a moment and praise yourself for the love and care you give to Buster. He's lucky to have someone like you!

Thanks everyone for the support you've all shown me over the past horrid month.

I know the worst is still to come but for now I'm trying my best to live each day as it comes.

He's spending the day with my father in law today so he's not by himself whilst I'm at work.

I'm so sorry to hear about Busters problems. I didn't read all your post as I can't, because have been through something similar with Pandora bunny the last few weeks and its been so upsetting. I can understand your horrid month and as you say take one day at a time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Praying for you and Buster! I'm facing the same thing very soon - my mom and I were attending a craft show and found a beat-up old dog at a gas station. We posted his pic and info on several lost dog sites but nobody claimed him. The men at the gas station thought he had been an elderly person's dog and when the person died, the heirs dumped him. He has been a HANDFUL - he is some kind of hound mix so he doesn't bark, he HOWLS. He also climbs fences. Apparently this is a thing hound dogs do. So, in the two months we've had him, he's climbed the fence and escaped 4 times. We finally put a line in our fenced-in yard and clip him to the line. He has an inoperable bladder tumor. He's only been with us two months and I bawled when I heard. We will be putting him down this weekend.

Oh that's awful! Both that he's sick and that he was potentially dumped! I am dreading the day we have to do the best thing for Buster.

I will be thinking about you this weekend

Thank you for your kind words. I take comfort in the fact that he did not spend June and July outside - they were brutally hot this year, with heat index reaching 110 more than once. He got lots of attention and affection. He was comfortable. He had companionship from other dogs. He got lots of good food. He actually made off with a rack of lamb that we had to rescue! His last 2 months were comfortable and safe.

There's a humorous twitter thing floating around that's something like, "When God made animals." For dogs: Man, these are great. I'm going to want all of these back eventually."

Dixie you are the dog's angel. YOu provided for old sick dog comfortable two months. As sad as it is to put dog down, it is for not prolonging suffering. I had been there and every time is heart breaking.

Thank you for your kind words. I take comfort in the fact that he did not spend June and July outside - they were brutally hot this year, with heat index reaching 110 more than once. He got lots of attention and affection. He was comfortable. He had companionship from other dogs. He got lots of good food. He actually made off with a rack of lamb that we had to rescue! His last 2 months were comfortable and safe.

There's a humorous twitter thing floating around that's something like, "When God made animals." For dogs: Man, these are great. I'm going to want all of these back eventually."

I'm glad you've made his last months what he deserved them to be. Still I know this weekend is going to be tough for you. Even though this is a rubbish outcome for him it would have been much worse if he hadn't found you, at least this way you can do the right thing for him. I don't know about you but I know for sure Buster will be taking a little of me with him when he goes.

I love that little quote, dogs are pretty awesome.

Just been to the vets for blood and urine sample testing. Urine is low concentration as expected but no protein present which is positive. Blood results have the vet confused as his BUN (urea) has gone down to just 13.2 which is only just above normal. Two weeks ago it was 50 then a day of fluids brought it down to 33 but the vet was expecting it to have gone up again since the fluids not down. His creatinine has also come down from 665 to 441, still high but much better.

The vet is now completely baffled so is sending his bloods of to the external lab for another full screening.

He's loads happier the last few days. Trying not to get my hopes up too much cos something is clearly wrong since he's not able to produce a concentrated urine sample but for now I'm happy he's happier and we will take one day at a time.

Just been to the vets for blood and urine sample testing. Urine is low concentration as expected but no protein present which is positive. Blood results have the vet confused as his BUN (urea) has gone down to just 13.2 which is only just above normal. Two weeks ago it was 50 then a day of fluids brought it down to 33 but the vet was expecting it to have gone up again since the fluids not down. His creatinine has also come down from 665 to 441, still high but much better.

The vet is now completely baffled so is sending his bloods of to the external lab for another full screening.

He's loads happier the last few days. Trying not to get my hopes up too much cos something is clearly wrong since he's not able to produce a concentrated urine sample but for now I'm happy he's happier and we will take one day at a time.

Sonya - your post just described life with kidney disease. This is the new normal. He could live months and years like this.
Kidney disease doesn't get better - the numbers cycle up and down and the struggle is to find what works in keeping it stable as possible.

Wonder what your in-laws were feeding him, or was his stress greatly reduced and that allowed him to improve? Even exposure to a different environment with fewer breathable toxins? Could be a weekend now and then with them might just be the ticket!

Glad you're home safe from your trip, and hope you could enjoy some of it.

Praying for you and Buster! I'm facing the same thing very soon - my mom and I were attending a craft show and found a beat-up old dog at a gas station. We posted his pic and info on several lost dog sites but nobody claimed him. The men at the gas station thought he had been an elderly person's dog and when the person died, the heirs dumped him. He has been a HANDFUL - he is some kind of hound mix so he doesn't bark, he HOWLS. He also climbs fences. Apparently this is a thing hound dogs do. So, in the two months we've had him, he's climbed the fence and escaped 4 times. We finally put a line in our fenced-in yard and clip him to the line. He has an inoperable bladder tumor. He's only been with us two months and I bawled when I heard. We will be putting him down this weekend.

I'm sorry. That's horrible. At least you're giving the old man the best end of life care he can get. I had a hound mix and yes, that is their typical behavior. They howl instead of bark (which I actually love) and they will NOT stay in the yard. If they're not climbing fences, they're digging under them.

Is he drinking a lot of water? Isn't that a good thing not having "concentrated" urine? I don't know enough (or anything) about medicine to understand this. I know in humans we need to drink plenty of fluids because the goal is not to have a strong urine--it's supposed to be as close to clear as possible and odorless. Why isn't that good for dogs? Why would having a concentrated urine be good? I would think that would put stress on the kidneys and bladder (not filtering enough toxins from the body).

Anyway, I'm glad he seems to be doing better. Maybe that's his ticket to improved health: visiting grandpa for play dates. You know he's well taken care of and he gets to have fun. Win-win for everyone. As long as grandpa doesn't mind doggy duty, that is.

Is he drinking a lot of water? Isn't that a good thing not having "concentrated" urine? I don't know enough (or anything) about medicine to understand this. I know in humans we need to drink plenty of fluids because the goal is not to have a strong urine--it's supposed to be as close to clear as possible and odorless. Why isn't that good for dogs? Why would having a concentrated urine be good? I would think that would put stress on the kidneys and bladder (not filtering enough toxins from the body).

Anyway, I'm glad he seems to be doing better. Maybe that's his ticket to improved health: visiting grandpa for play dates. You know he's well taken care of and he gets to have fun. Win-win for everyone. As long as grandpa doesn't mind doggy duty, that is.

There's still a "healthy" level of concentration for urine. With CKD the body uses a lot more water to try to filter out toxins, some of that should be recycled back into the blood stream but it isn't. Dehydration becomes a problem. Another reason to use fluid treatment at home.

I'm sorry. That's horrible. At least you're giving the old man the best end of life care he can get. I had a hound mix and yes, that is their typical behavior. They howl instead of bark (which I actually love) and they will NOT stay in the yard. If they're not climbing fences, they're digging under them.

I enjoy the howling as well. I can just imagine a pack of hounds all howling and what a sound that must be! But it is disconcerting when he does it about 1 foot away from you because he wants your enchilada.

The fence climbing thing...I'm not a fan.

Latest posts

Back