Experience of anorexic dog? Anyone?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Praying for you and Buster! I'm facing the same thing very soon - my mom and I were attending a craft show and found a beat-up old dog at a gas station. We posted his pic and info on several lost dog sites but nobody claimed him. The men at the gas station thought he had been an elderly person's dog and when the person died, the heirs dumped him. He has been a HANDFUL - he is some kind of hound mix so he doesn't bark, he HOWLS. He also climbs fences. Apparently this is a thing hound dogs do. So, in the two months we've had him, he's climbed the fence and escaped 4 times. We finally put a line in our fenced-in yard and clip him to the line. He has an inoperable bladder tumor. He's only been with us two months and I bawled when I heard. We will be putting him down this weekend.

I feel a bit uneasy to hit `like` on a post when you mention having to put a sweet (howling) dog to sleep, but it was because you saved him from many weeks of agony, lonelyness and lack of love.

Thanks SO much for doing that <3

Update on Buster. The lab results were the same as the results at the vet so that's positive. They also show that his phosphorus levels are elevated so he's been prescribed a phosphorus binder to help with that. I was worried he wouldn't eat with the powder on his food but he's eating it fine. All the meds he was on after his hospital stay are coming to an end now so feeling a little nervous he's gonna relapse but trying to stay calm.

He got weighed this week and has put on around 350g, not a huge increase but any increase is better than still losing weight.

He's happy, eating, drinking and is so much better than 3 weeks ago.

Update on Buster. The lab results were the same as the results at the vet so that's positive. They also show that his phosphorus levels are elevated so he's been prescribed a phosphorus binder to help with that. I was worried he wouldn't eat with the powder on his food but he's eating it fine. All the meds he was on after his hospital stay are coming to an end now so feeling a little nervous he's gonna relapse but trying to stay calm.

He got weighed this week and has put on around 350g, not a huge increase but any increase is better than still losing weight.

He's happy, eating, drinking and is so much better than 3 weeks ago.

Started bawling. So glad you've got good news. Yes, 350 g is much better than losing weight and eating, drinking and being happy are all you can ask for at this point. Praying he's going to have a long and happy life with (extremely) rare bouts of torture just to remind you he's got a chronic disease. Poor puppy. On the positive side, you know what to expect when/if the next episode comes along.

ETA: Yes. Definitely happy tears.

Last edited:
Ok, floods of tears too, but really happy tears! I'm so relieved for you and buster. It's amazing news. Very proud of you for sticking by him and helping him through it:)

I'm so happy to hear Buster has made it through this event. Many hopes for a long and happy life for him - we have all seen what amazing care you're capable of giving him!

Latest posts

Back