Exfoliants settling in Pine Tar?? Help?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mericlesoapco

Reaction score
I’ve been making Pine Tar now for a good 6 months. Just recently I’ve decided to make larger batches and now I’m getting exfoliants that are settling all the way to the bottom. What could cause this?

Attachments

• IMG-4620.jpg
    IMG-4620.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4622.jpg
    IMG-4622.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4623.jpg
    IMG-4623.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
How heavy is the exfoliate. You are adding. Would determine when to add it. With oils, prior to lye solution. Or at a heavy trace.
Me, ground oat flour with oils. Pumice, poppy seeds or salt at a medium to heavy trace.

I have been adding in the sea salt with the lye mixture to get it to dissolve. I add in my ground oats and kaolin Klay when my oil mixture is around 95 degrees. i was thinking maybe it settles because i pour this into my mold when its at a very light trace?

i was thinking maybe it settles because i pour this into my mold when its at a very light trace?
Good thinking. As @Ford recommended, pour at heavy trace so the batter will support the additives. I add any additives to the warmed oils before adding the lye solution. Stir for one full minute to get everything thoroughly mixed before pouring.

Back