excitement master batching caustic hell fire

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
sheesh .. some days I just shouldn't get out of bed.

I thought I'd master batch some oils and lye today; getting ready to make a bunch of soap this week.

Decided to follow another soaper who said she just mixed her lye right into the big master batch container. WELL ............. for me that was a mistake. My container is a repurposed bleach bottle and has a small opening so I was using a funnel and small scoop to gently pour the lye into the bottle containing the water, but with the small opening the steam starting clumping up the lye in the funnel AND then the bottle started getting hot enough the bottom was bowing out .. which made me feel panicky. I know the bottle is ok for lye water but I was afraid the heat might just split a seam or melt the bottom so I decided to finish mixing it in a bowl. The only SS bowl I have was currently holding the balance of the lye that needed to go into the mix. Grrrr ..... all I had for option was a large glass bowl.

I prayed hard and poured it into that, "please don't break, please don't break" (I'm sure you know that prayer). Once all the lye was in, I decided to hurry up and get it out of the glass bowl and poured it into the now empty ss bowl. *whew* disaster averted (so I thought)

All this back and forth in various containers is making me nervous. It's just upping the odds of an accident. (I never should have allowed that thought to enter my head because it opened the door for fate to step in)

Letting that cool, I went about master batching my oils.

Then I looked over and my lye has a crusty, white top all over it. Argh! Either the bowl had some unseen film on it or the SS is cheap and was starting to peel a bit but either way now the lye needs to be strained (more handling :evil: )

Sure enough .. I'm using a screen, lined with a coffee filter and I'm straining the lye directly into the funnel atop the bleach bottle but it's coming through the screen like thick molasses .. one .. drop .. at .. a .. time! My arms are getting tired, I'm getting impatient and I started shaking the screen .. trying to get the lye to move through just a bit faster so I can put it down for a bit ..... and .... whammy the funnel slips, the screen goes flying (thank God the bottle didn't tip). I jump back while spatters of caustic hell fire fly all over. I grab the funnel and quickly throw it into the sink full of water before it can tip the bottle over. I pick up the screen off the floor and throw it in same sink, grab a wet cloth and throw it on the floor, quickly slop that around with my crutch to lessen the risk of anyone stepping in it but now I'm on crutches on wet floor. Grab another slopping wet rag and throw it on the lye puddle on my counter .. mush that into the sink full of water. Survey the balance of the damage, take a deep breath .. and start cleaning up the mess.

Had to take all the burners off my stove, had to pull the stove out to get the dribble that ran down the side of the counter. Had to use a ton of water on everything in site to make sure I didn't miss one tiny spatter.

When hubby comes home he sure as hell better notice the screaming clean kitchen because it has been washed, washed, washed and washed again, every surface, every crook and cranny. Spring cleaning .. ya .. that's it .. I wasn't making soap or throwing lye around the house .. noooo, not me, I was spring cleaning!

Good grief, I'm done for the day. I was going to make soap or lip balm but no way am I tempting that nasty fate gremlin in my kitchen again today! I can just imagine what would happen with hot wax :-?

Oh no you poor thing! Have a drink and gloat over the clean kitchen.
Lye is cheap and you can master batch again later with a better plan cause you learned so much this time.

The title of your thread immediately caught my attention and had me so intrigued, I just had to check it out. So glad I did. Still laughing :) But seriously, I'm glad you're okay and that you have a sparkling clean kitchen to boot! :)

Oh dear, I'm glad you're OK.

One thing I wanted to mention if you want to try this again - weigh your lye solution after it has cooled and add back the excess water that was lost through heat and evaporation. If you don't do this, your lye concentration will be higher than you think.

weigh your lye solution after it has cooled and add back the excess water that was lost through heat and evaporation.

JUDY?????????? You want me to play with this lye some MORE??????????

:Kitten Love:

LOL, j/k .. thanks for that advice. I'll do it when I have a better system to pour/strain .. etc. Right now I'm happy it's contained in the bleach bottle *whew*

I want to strain it one more time because I abandon the coffee filter idea and I know some particles slipped through the screen. I need a smaller screen.

I need a better ss mixing container and have my eye on some ss pour jugs at the local cash and carry. I'm not making enough soap to warrant buying a fusti but oooo do I want one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160903779328?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'd never worry about flying lye again if I had one .. hmm .. Christmas wish list????

Thanks everyone for the well wishes .. I managed to escape without even one tiny burn. *looks around for sacrificial virgin to offer up to soap Ghods*

I saw the posting where the lady just mixes her lye in her master bottle. I never do that, for one many of the bottles cannot take the heat and I would not want to count on it mixing, since a 50/50 solutions takes a lot of stirring to get it all mixed. I always batch mine in gallon hdpe bucket (my soaping buckets) in the sink just in case. Then I pour it into my storage bottles. I use a heavy duty bottle from Mcmaster Carr for my solution, and a bottle that was from a bottle of commercial dish detergent. I still do not trust either to take the full heat that is generated with a gallon of lye mixed at once. The crust always forms on my 50/50 and I just put the strainer over my funnel when pouring the lye in my bottles.

OMG You are doing all of that while you are on crutches! Glad that you weren't hurt. I have put making a master batch on hold because my cat kept trying to open the cabinet under the sink where I had a tightly sealed thick pail of lye water, he kept trying to open the doors and smelling it. I was worried about the potential danger, so no master batch for right now.

A throw away plastic bleach jug? Really?

It's a #2 HDPE .. I thought it was safe for storing lye. Am I wrong?

Soaping 101 tut for masterbatching lye says a #5 PP is best but that a #2 is 2nd choice. Is this #2 bottle of mine going to start leaking? Should I get a different container in a hurry?

Oh .. and fwiw, I didn't mix 50/50 .. I mixed 1.5:1

Last edited:
Would a beer bucket with a spigot work for master batching lye? The buckets are HDPE, not use about the spigot. Something like this: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/bottling-bucket-with-spigot.html

hmm .. interesting, I like the price although, I wouldn't trust that spigot either. :problem:

I like the fusti because the lid screws on tight and has an air vent you can open and close. No worries about spills and just open the little screw vent to prevent airlocks when pouring. I suspect the bucket would just have a plastic lid (again, a worry about the quality of that being able to withstand lye) and you'd have to open the entire lid to avoid an airlock when pouring.

The less handling the better. With the fusti I could mix right in the container because it has a wide enough opening and no worries about the container being able to withstand the heat. Then screw the lid on tight after properly mixed and cool. I'm starting to convince myself, safety is worth the price and I like the size of it too; not too big, not too small.

Last edited:
Oiy .. I found a second hand fusti for only $60 .. that's well worth my safety. But .. it's used and was used for storing vegetable oil. Is there anyway I can clean that well enough for storing lye now or will I end up with a fusti full of soap?? LOL!

I also found a 5L new one for less $$ than the 3L but still over $100

It's a #2 HDPE .. I thought it was safe for storing lye. Am I wrong?

Soaping 101 tut for masterbatching lye says a #5 PP is best but that a #2 is 2nd choice. Is this #2 bottle of mine going to start leaking? Should I get a different container in a hurry?

Oh .. and fwiw, I didn't mix 50/50 .. I mixed 1.5:1

I'm not saying you're wrong, there are just some containers I would not trust to mix lye. Many plastic containers containing household products are pretty thin even if 5 or 2 and the heat generated by lye is not conducive to their survival. I might store mixed lye in them but wouldn't mix the lye in them. Again, at least to me, storage is different from mixing. Heavier is better. Just my humble opinion. My chicken heart has been exposed.
I endeavor to keep a lot of 1 1/2 gallon ice cream buckets available for use. They're hdpe 4 but I don't mix anything but laundry soap in them. Increasing the inventory has been successful and the program continues. :D

I take it that there's a spigot at the bottom of your fusti? Is there a gasket or o-ring in the spigot to keep it from leaking? If so, be careful that the seal is rated for sodium hydroxide solution. EPDM and PTFE (Teflon) are both good choices.

I'm not saying you're wrong, there are just some containers I would not trust to mix lye. Many plastic containers containing household products are pretty thin even if 5 or 2 and the heat generated by lye is not conducive to their survival. I might store mixed lye in them but wouldn't mix the lye in them. Again, at least to me, storage is different from mixing. Heavier is better. Just my humble opinion. My chicken heart has been exposed.
I endeavor to keep a lot of 1 1/2 gallon ice cream buckets available for use. They're hdpe 4 but I don't mix anything but laundry soap in them. Increasing the inventory has been successful and the program continues. :D

This is why I use hdpe buckets in the sink for mixing 50/50. My very thick heavy LDPE carboy jug, that I store one batch of my lye solution in is restricted to 170 degrees.

My chicken heart has been exposed.

Dennis .. not chicken heart .. SMART!

I watched the video again and she says look for #5 (preferably) or #2 (next best), then she mixes right in the #5 so I assumed I could mix in either. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-MGBLfMiLo[/ame]

Now I don't think that's the case and I'm glad I was smart enough to stop when I noticed the jug getting too hot and switched to the bowl. That disaster could have been way worse if the jug had split.

Here was the information I got off the internet that made me think my #2 was ok

2 – HDPE – High density Polyethylene

Also readily recyclable – Mostly used for packaging detergents, bleach, milk containers, hair care products and motor oil. Is recycled into more bottles or bags.

Sodium hydroxide 1% - LDPE at 20C°-50C° shows little or no damage after 30 days of constant exposure. HDPE at 20C°-50C° shows some effect after 7 days.

Sodium hydroxide 50% - LDPE / HDPE at 20C°-50C° show little or no damage after 30 days of constant exposure.

cmzaha .. I'm going to follow your lead in the future and mix in the sink. I was trying to use the range hood to vent my fumes but I think the sink is safer.

Latest posts

Back