essential oils & young children

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alib

Reaction score
I have a recipe for an eczema cream, I want to make it & use it on my son (he's 16 mths old). It contains Rosemary & Tea Tree essential oils, would this be ok to use on such a young child??

FOr that age you need to be using your EO's at 25% strength of what you would use for an adult. If you give me the amount of product you are making I can give you the amounts of EO that would be safe....

the recipe is:
1 tab beeswax
1 tab honey
2 tabs olive oil
2 tabs almond oil
1 tab distilled water
1 drop Neem oil
2 drops rosemary EO
2 drops Tea Tree EO

And thats it. I appreciate your help.

The only change you should make in your recipe is drop the water, divide that 1 tblsp between the olive & sweet almond oil. If you have water in there you will A) need an emulsifier & B) need a preservative. The water really add anything to the mix. You can go as high as 5 drops each on your Rosemary & Tea Tree oils. Neem oil is not an essential oil but more of a carrier oil and can be treated as such. I would still keep the percentage down but you could increase it to 25 drops.

HTH...

Cheers

Thanks very much for your help, I really appreciate it, I will go make it now.
Btw, the soap in your profile picture looks excellent, love the colours.

Its made & it looks like a cream (always a good start) :)
Smells lovely, but is quite sticky, really wanna wake my boy up & try it on him, but i quess i'd better wait till the morning, just hope it helps his eczema, will keep you posted.

I said I'd keep you posted on how the eczema cream worked......
well its amazing, my lad had such sore red angry patches behind both of his knees, I applied the cream about 4 times a day, within 4 days the angry redness had faded, now within 2 weeks you can hardly see any eczema at all, it really has amazed me, maybe it was just coincidental, but I would deffinately recommend any one to try it.

Back