Essential Oil Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavender.dreams.candles

Reaction score
I want to make anise eo soap and even though I'm going to use my good ole recipe I don't know how much eo to add.
I usually add 1 oz. of fo per pound of oil so it's usually 3 oz. of fo .... but, eo is stronger so I don't know how much to add per pound....Can someone tell me ???
I don't understand the %'s yet so can you give it to me in oz. , please??

sorry to butt in here, is the anise you are speaking of, the anise that smells like black licorice? or is there a different one than i'm thinking of.

I completely agree with the above comments - I made my batch recently and used 1 Tbs. PPO and it was a little much in the house for two weeks. I did infuse the oils with star anise and clove also but believe me that smell can knock you out for a while.
After the first 3 weeks it has toned down quite a bit.
The EO had no effect what so ever on the color. I got a kind of an ivory. I posted a photo if you want to see it. Look under Photos I think under 'second attempt at photos'.
Good Luck!

I use .7 oz ppo (that's 20 grams). Smells amazing. I don't cure my soaps in my living space and don't recommend doing so (as has been discussed before LOL). No impact on the color that I recall, but then I color my soap.

lavender.dreams.candles said:
I usually add 1 oz. of fo per pound of oil so it's usually 3 oz. of fo .... but, eo is stronger so I don't know how much to add per pound....Can someone tell me ???
I don't understand the %'s yet so can you give it to me in oz. , please??

Lavender - I just ran across this info in my soapmaking notes, can't credit the source because I don't remember which site I printed it from but it was one of the suppliers of essential/fragrance oils and has been helpful to me. Hope it helps you also. These amounts aren't written in stone, just general guidelines.

Average EO - .7 oz ppo
Strong EO (like cinnamon, clove, mint) - .4 oz ppo (I personally think this seems low)
Citrus EO - .9 oz ppo
Average FO - .5 oz (1 Tbl) ppo
Strong FO - 1 - 1.5 tsp ppo

I'm a little confused though, cause I remember reading somewhere that you would use less EO than FO in general. Yet going by those numbers, they have it listed to use more EO than FO in general.

it depends on the FO and the EO.

For most FOs that I purchase, I use between 0.7 and 1 oz per pound of oils. But some FOs really should be used at 0.5 oz ppo.

For most EOs I use, I go from 0.5 to 1 oz per pound of oils.

There is no hard and fast rule, there are simply guidelines.

When Lilli has a chance to fix the Scent Review Board, you can join and see - there is some EO information on it as well.

i know huh? i cant afford to use eos much, thats why i love fos! Try lemongrass, it is awesome and not too much $.

IME if you buy the better quality FO's and EO's you will need to use less . The saying that you get what you pay for rings true with these oils too . Buy the best that you can afford . I have tried the cheap ones and they are a waste of money .imho You use a lot of it and the scent does not stick or smell that great .

Kitn

Back