EOS lip balm dupe

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

hmlove1218

Reaction score
Ok, I actually really love Eos lip balms and I would love to recreate them as closely as possible.

Ingredient list pulled straight from their website:
Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Beeswax (Cire D'abeille)*, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil*, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil*, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Stevia Rebaudiana Leaf/Stem Extract*, Tocopherol, Limonene**, Linalool**. *Organic. **Component of Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil*. Certified Organic by Oregon Tilth.
I have very limited experience with lip balms, so I'm not really sure where to start. I'm figuring that the olive, beeswax, and coconut oils are roughly equal (give or take a few percentages), and I can't imagine there's much more than about 2% jojoba, EO, and shea.

Maybe something like:
35% Olive
30% beeswax
30% coconut
2% jojoba
1% EO
1% shea
1% vitamin e

Any suggestions or tweaks?

Last edited:

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Here's my recipe (got it from MMS)
60 grams of beeswax
75 grams shea butter
45 grams cocoa butter
120 grams avocado oil

I would say the beeswax, olive and coconut are NOT roughly equal. I think 1/3 beeswax would make a balm that doesn't melt well. In my recipe, the beeswax is 20%. Shea and cocoa butter will melt on your skin, beeswax won't.

It makes 60 tubes

hmlove1218

Reaction score
Good point Dixie. What about something like 55% olive, 20% beeswax, 20% coconut.....

I also have candillila (sp?) wax. That's usually used at half the amount of beeswax correct?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm with Dixie- 30% of beeswax is going to be way too high if you're trying to mimic the feel of Eos. I personally would go no higher than 22% on the beeswax myself.

With your ingredients, I'm thinking maybe something more along these lines:

Olive oil 36%
Beeswax 21%
Coconut oil 21%
Jojoba 15%
Shea butter 5%
Peppermint oil 1%
Vitamin E 1%

I increased the shea to 5% because I think 1% would be too small to make much of any significant contribution.

Re: candelilla: I use candelilla in one of my balm recipes and although it's harder than beeswax, I've found that 1/2 the amount of beeswax may not always be exactly enough. At least not for the formula I tried subbing it in anyway: For experiment's sake, I tried this: in one of my balms that usually takes 20% beeswax, I subbed in 10% candelilla instead, and found that it made my balm too soft. I had to keep it in the fridge for it to remain firm enough to hold up half-way decently in a tube. In other words, it was more of the consistency for a lip pot. I kept adding more and more candelilla to it until the consistency finally came out right to stand up in a tube, which ended up being 15% candelilla instead of 10%.

IrishLass :)

dixiedragon

Reaction score
Here are some good guidelines from AHRE:
20% Beeswax
25% Butters/Oils that are solid at room temperature. These butters are on the soft side.
15% Butters that are hard at room temperature. These butters are on the brittle side.
40% Oils that are liquid at room temperature
These percentages should equal 100%.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
Ah ha! That's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks guys! Off to make some lip balm lol.

IL, I also agree that 1% Shea probably wouldn't have been noticed. I was actually planning to bump it up to 5% or 10%

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I third the 20% beeswax. It is enough to make it firm but smooth when using.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
Ok, hopefully 3rd try is the charm.. my post keeps disappearing..

I tried the recipe that IL suggested and so far so good. I had to sub in some of my candelilla wax for beeswax as I ran out, so thank you for the amount recommendation! I used 1.5× the amount of my remains beeswax amount.

Misschief

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some good guidelines from AHRE:
20% Beeswax
25% Butters/Oils that are solid at room temperature. These butters are on the soft side.
15% Butters that are hard at room temperature. These butters are on the brittle side.
40% Oils that are liquid at room temperature
These percentages should equal 100%.
What is AHRE?